FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Robotnik's Lock Collection

<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 am

Robotnik's Lock Collection

I'm intrigued by unique mechanical access and custody control devices. While picking/bumping/etc. is certainly a method of compromising locks, far more common in my experience is unauthorized use of keys, privilege escalation, and other such defeats.

With traditional locks, a key can be illicitly obtained and used, or if enough change keys are collected, the master can be decoded. If a set of keys has to be issued on a daily basis to janitorial staff, or a key has to be provided on a temporary basis to someone performing work on your house, how do you ensure that key isn't illicitly copied and distributed, surreptitiously used, or a low level key altered into a higher level one? Alternately, how can the legitimate use of a key be mechanically restricted or audited, if necessary?

My lock collection centers around various solutions to these problems. Dual custody locks, dual shearline locks, user-resettable locks, and other such novel master keying, key custody, and access control devices. I'll post an initial run now, to be followed by more pieces that I'm working on keying, processing, and/or photographing.

Basically, my key tag color-coding scheme comes down to:
Red and Black key tags for dual-plug locks (black is the higher-level key)
Green and Blue for dual-shearline locks (blue is higher-level key)
Yellow for user-resettable locks.

Yale Bicentric, Dual Custody.
Believe it's a 945. Obtained from a US Navy contractor.

Yale Bicentric Rim Cylinder

Sargent & Greenleaf 4440 Safe Deposit Lock

Winfield Hotel Lock.
This is the only non-operable lock in my collection; after reviewing patent documents/drawings, I'm unlikely to ever key it to the original Guest key, let alone obtain a working Maid key.

Kwikset Key Control SmartKey Deadbolt
Dual-plug master keying solution for a lock that cannot otherwise be master keyed. Qualifies as both a dual-plug and a user-resettable lock.

Corbin Master Ring
With original mortise deadbolt chassis

Corbin Master Ring
c. Early 1900's. As touched on in another thread, this is the lock that founded my collection

Corbin Master Ring
Exploded skeleton view

Best SFIC Padlocks, on Utility Hasp
Dual-shearline SFIC's, displayed on a shared-custody utility locking hasp (itself a rudimentary master keying device)

More to follow, as I gradually get keys cut and photographs taken. Currently looking for a Sargent Duplex, a U-Change, and - of course - an affordable NAPEC DCP padlock :). Thanks for looking!
<<

escher7

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:13 am

Re: Robotnik's Lock Collection

Nice themed collection. Many collectors just hoard everything, (which is understandable as we love all locks), but your focus shows an interesting aspect of lock use.
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 am

you heve a very nice collection buddy!!! thats amazing!!!

Hugo Martel :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:18 am

escher7 wrote:Nice themed collection. Many collectors just hoard everything, (which is understandable as we love all locks), but your focus shows an interesting aspect of lock use.

I certainly understand the temptation to grab anything and everything cool - which there is A LOT of out there - but for the health of my bank account and marriage, I keep things fairly focused.

A couple user-resettable locks I got around to photographing today:

Kwikset SmartKey Padlock
Displayed with operating key, reset tool, and second (different) key

Schlage SecureKey Deadbolt Cylinder
With two different sets of keys, each including "blue" reset key.

Question on the SecureKey, if anyone happens to have tried this before: do these cylinders fit into the old Schlage brass-body padlocks (the 'poor man's IC' ones that accept a KIK cylinder)? I'd like to display this in a padlock body, but don't want to drop the cash unless I'm reasonably sure it'll be worth my while.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:21 am

One more I missed posting yesterday:

Yale Bicentric OSU Padlock
Shared custody, with master and change key

This one's notably smaller that the 945 dual custody; I'll post a size comparison soon.
Thanks to MacGnG for this one!
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:31 am

Couple more, one freshly keyed up.

CCL Master Ring
US Navy padlock, with original box

CCL Master Ring
Obtained without working keys; disassembled, cleaned, cut keys, and reassembled.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 am

ITE Kirk Interlock (Yale Cylinders)
Safety lockout/custody control device for electrical service equipment. As I understand it, with a dual custody one like this, generally the guard key is retained in another single cylinder trapped key interlock; when the equipment is powered down, it's locked out, then the guard key can be removed and used in conjunction with an operating key to open whatever access panel/gate/etc is being secured by the dual cylinder interlock.

Very smooth operation; feels like a geared mechanism. Don't see a simple way to nondestructively disassemble and get eyes on the internals, though.

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:41 am

on the Kirk interlock, you have to remove the nameplate and you can remove the cylinder from behind there.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:50 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:on the Kirk interlock, you have to remove the nameplate and you can remove the cylinder from behind there.

Ah, good to know; thought the plate was riveted. I'll try working it off with some kind of non-marring tool. Thanks!
<<

Fredo the Crow

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Awesome! I love it! Thank you for sharing.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Best Portland Parks Bureau Padlock
Key retaining with 6-pin core.

Corbin or Corbin-Russwin Master Ring Padlock
Coined OSHD, which in all likelihood stands for Oregon State Highway Department (predecessor to ODOT). Corbin BR keyway.

Haven't yet found key blanks, but picked open to master shearline. Not going to disassemble this one (as I've done with other MR's), so I need to step up my impressioning game :)

U-Change Mortise
One of my picking practice locks; more of a 'placeholder' piece, until I can swing for a padlock or better-condition mortise.

More to come - I have a lot of projects underway :) .
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:10 pm

nice collection!
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:43 pm

Very nice indeed. Love the Bicentrics and Master Ring padlocks.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:44 am

Appreciate the kind words. The Yale bicentrics and Corbin master rings are definitely the core of my collection, but there's a couple different gems I'm champing at the bit to finish and photograph as well :) .
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Чаз Dual Custody Disc Detainer Padlock
Post-Soviet Russian DC padlock. Thanks to LocksportSouth for the tip on this one - had no idea these existed.

Next

Return to Your Lock Collections