FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Robotnik's Lock Collection

<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: Robotnik's Lock Collection

Russwin Master Ring Padlock
Obtained this sub-assembled from a fellow collector. Pinned it up and cut keys; probably my favorite MR in my collection. Have encountered a lot of Corbins, but never seen one of these in the flesh until now.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Been very busy with a job change and family obligations, but have a couple more pieces finished or obtained for my collection.

Yale Bicentric Safe Deposit Box Lock
Dual custody lock - the guard key is first turned, then the renter key is turned, which throws the bolt and returns the guard key to 12:00 for removal. Have wanted one of these for a while, and was lucky enough to pick up a few recently. A couple are earmarked for friends and fellow collectors, but have one or two for sale if anyone's interested.

Folger Adam Master Ring Mogul
Approximately 2" diameter cylinder, with both master and change key. Never quite grasped how huge these are until I held this one in my hand. Far and away my favorite recent addition.

<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:10 am

"Wait...that's just a random Sargent quatrefoil. Why's he posting that pic in his "unique solutions to master keying and custody control" collection thread? It isn't a Duplex, right?"

"No, I didn't think so. What's up with this one, then?"

"Oh, whaaat? It's a square-pin."

At least "oh, whaat?" was my reaction when I saw this on eBay. For those unfamiliar, for a couple decades beginning in about 1897, Sargent produced a master keyed lock that relied on square pins rather than cylindrical. The left and right sides of each pin were milled to different heights; the master key blade hit one side of the pins, while the change key blade hit the other. I'd seen pics of these padlocks before, but with the older "S&CO" wordmark on the obverse, but didn't know these were produced with the c. 1920's "Sargent" wordmark.

Was studying pics of this auction a few days ago when it hit me that this particular quatrefoil was a square pin. Bought it without keys; don't have the (long-obsolete) blanks, and the condition is a bit rough, but cool - and rare - to have in the collection
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:28 am

Droooool
Wonder if S1 or S4 blanks would fit?
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:36 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Droooool
Wonder if S1 or S4 blanks would fit?

I have a fair selection of old OEM Sargent blanks; when I tried them all, the closest was U (believe this is S4). Still didn't quite fit, though. The R (S1) wasn't very close to fitting. I know a junk shop that has a crazy number of old key blanks, mostly Sargent and Yale, so next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll go digging.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 01, 2016 11:06 am

Sargent Duplex
Dual Shearline Master Ring Cylinder

I know, I know. It's not a padlock, but I couldn't help myself. Received this last week, picked it open, disassembled, and just finished cutting keys. I'm pretty well stocked with old Sargent blanks, but didn't have this keyway - had to slightly modify a pair of T blanks to fit.

Like the Corbin master ring, the Duplex featured a plug with an outer sleeve that allowed for greater flexibility in master keying.

A couple items of interest (at least to me) :) ...
While Corbin's Master Ring sleeve (in rim/mortise form) is hidden from view, Sargent's is visible on the face of the cylinder.
The Duplex pictured here is standard cylinder size, as opposed to the jumbo (1.5") size Master Rings.
The Duplex's plug and master sleeve are offset from each other (almost look like internally tangent circles), as opposed to the concentric orientation of Corbin MR's. </nerdout>
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:52 pm

A couple recent additions...more to come

Kwikset Titan
Interchangeable Core Deadbolt
I'm surprised by how few people - owners and even some locksmiths I've met - know these particular deadbolts are IC. There's a retaining tab in the shell that's kept in a raised position when a normal key is used, but when a control key is used, the tab drops into the key's cutaway, and the core can be pulled.

Sargent & Greenleaf 4110
Instant-Rekey Safe Deposit Lock
Single-nose SD lock. Unlike normal SD locks, all levers have the same gate, but the fence is able to move independently at each point it contacts a lever in order to conform to key cuts. When bolt is retracted, a set screw is exposed that allows instant rekeying (see second photo).
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:05 pm

awesome thread of locks
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:29 am

IC Key Retaining Device
Key Custody Control
Device features two ICs and a geared link that forces them work in opposition to each other. When one plug is positioned for key removal, the other is oriented 180. Used to control and audit access to higher level keys.

Many thanks to l0ckcr4ck3r for the assistance in preparing this piece!

VingCard Hotel Mortise
Instant Rekey Lock
Used in a setting with high turnover (like a hotel) that necessitates frequent rekeying, this cylinder has two sets of top pins (see second photo), the second of which contains additional wafers. The operating key turns normally, however an identically-bitted reset key is modified to allow removal at the 2:00 position (location of the secondary pinstacks) and insertion of a new reset key.

Photographed here with blank keys. I still have a lot of work ahead of me modifying warding, disassembling, decoding, and cutting.

USPS Registered Mail Padlock
Audit Trail Padlock
One of the more common tamper-evident locks out there. These padlocks have a mechanical counter on the side, advancing one digit every time they're opened. The count is logged by Postal employees when Reg. Mail bags are dispatched, and again once the bags arrive at their destination.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Sargent Duplex
Dual Shearline Master Ring Padlock

I've been searching for a Sargent Duplex padlock for almost three years...finally picked one up off eBay for $6.99 without keys.

It has keys now :). One key operates the plug, the other turns the plug and the outer ring together. Still need to pick up OEM 6 pin R keyway blanks - used a couple Curtis S5 I had on hand - but I'm absolutely ecstatic about this pickup.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am

I will see if I have any R blanks. That is really cool!
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:I will see if I have any R blanks. That is really cool!

Thanks, and would love to pick a couple blanks up if you have some available!
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:02 pm

I looked and do not have any original R keyway blanks - but I will check with the locksmith on Monday.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Robotnik - PM sent
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:06 pm

I had no idea there were so many master ring padlocks. Something else to look for.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
PreviousNext

Return to Your Lock Collections