FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

CONTEST! PIN TUMBLER PICKING COMPETITION

<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Re: CONTEST! PIN TUMBLER PICKING COMPETITION

i have a question about scoring, if you have a 6 pin standard pin set up, but you pick in 5 sec you would get 2pts for 6 or more pins i would say around 5 pts for time since thats a really good time spping, if its a hard biting and you get the pts for that then you just get knocked off for no securities? or do you take that into account with the time? also are spools worth more than serrations or hybrid spools worth more than regular, or how is that. Or is it a surprise?

thanks for any info
practice practice practice
<<

RangerJ03

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:22 am

HallisChalmers wrote:CLARIFICATION: HOMEBREWED SHORT HOOKS ARE PERMITTED!

THE IDEA IS TO USE ONLY A SHORT HOOK, REGARDLESS IF IT IS MANUFACTURED OR HOMEBREWED. RULES HAVE BEEN AMENDED ACCORDINGLY.

SEE VIDEO BELOW.

Hey Thanks for the props guys. I hope by the time this starts I'll have more time to watch you guys hammer it out.
Last edited by RangerJ03 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 am

Windowstweeker wrote:i have a question about scoring, if you have a 6 pin standard pin set up, but you pick in 5 sec you would get 2pts for 6 or more pins i would say around 5 pts for time since thats a really good time spping, if its a hard biting and you get the pts for that then you just get knocked off for no securities? or do you take that into account with the time? also are spools worth more than serrations or hybrid spools worth more than regular, or how is that. Or is it a surprise?

thanks for any info

• Picking a 6 pin lock will get you an automatic 2 points regardless of bitting, pin types, or speed;
• If you pick it in 5 seconds you may get 10 points, if (i) all of the driver pins were serrated, (ii) and the key bitting was especially hard (i.e. extreme hi-lo cuts), and (iii) the key pins were also serrated;
• A regular serrated pin would be worth more than a regular spool, but a regular spool would be worth less than a spool-serrated hybrid, and if you have high security telescopic spring–loaded pin – those are worth even more;
• Ultimately it’s a judgment call because so many variables come into play, like bitting, pins, elapsed time, etc.
• Don’t get hyper-focused on the excruciating minutia of pins vs. time vs. brand vs. bitting vs. pin stack height vs. brass vs. steel.
:shock: :roll:
<<

pickwizard

Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 am

good luck to all in this competition, i will also stand in the wings and give any support needed,

i look forward to seeing all the newbies battle this one out, have fun lads

(woohoo)
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 am

pickwizard wrote:good luck to all in this competition, i will also stand in the wings and give any support needed,

i look forward to seeing all the newbies battle this one out, have fun lads

(woohoo)

As I previously told JKtheCJer, I plan on having another competition shootout for the advanced guys (but open to anybody) to show off their advanced skills.

Thanks for doing the right thing.
(Cookie)
<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 am

RangerJ03 wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:CLARIFICATION: HOMEBREWED SHORT HOOKS ARE PERMITTED!

THE IDEA IS TO USE ONLY A SHORT HOOK, REGARDLESS IF IT IS MANUFACTURED OR HOMEBREWED. RULES HAVE BEEN AMENDED ACCORDINGLY.

SEE VIDEO BELOW.

Hey Thanks for the props guys. I hope by the time this starts I'll have more time to watch you guys hammer it out.

=) i love that short hook, and i have to give props where they are due, you do great work
<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:59 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Windowstweeker wrote:i have a question about scoring, if you have a 6 pin standard pin set up, but you pick in 5 sec you would get 2pts for 6 or more pins i would say around 5 pts for time since thats a really good time spping, if its a hard biting and you get the pts for that then you just get knocked off for no securities? or do you take that into account with the time? also are spools worth more than serrations or hybrid spools worth more than regular, or how is that. Or is it a surprise?

thanks for any info

• Picking a 6 pin lock will get you an automatic 2 points regardless of bitting, pin types, or speed;
• If you pick it in 5 seconds you may get 10 points, if (i) all of the driver pins were serrated, (ii) and the key bitting was especially hard (i.e. extreme hi-lo cuts), and (iii) the key pins were also serrated;
• A regular serrated pin would be worth more than a regular spool, but a regular spool would be worth less than a spool-serrated hybrid, and if you have high security telescopic spring–loaded pin – those are worth even more;
• Ultimately it’s a judgment call because so many variables come into play, like bitting, pins, elapsed time, etc.
• Don’t get hyper-focused on the excruciating minutia of pins vs. time vs. brand vs. bitting vs. pin stack height vs. brass vs. steel.
:shock: :roll:

i figured it would be a judgement call because of all the variables, thanks for the reply =)
is there any lock types you would like to see... or not see like does keyway come into play? or is it an nonaffecting variable?
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 11:50 am

Windowstweeker wrote:is there any lock types you would like to see... or not see like does keyway come into play? or is it an nonaffecting variable?

Surprise me, but yes, for the love of God and all that is good and Holy....

NO MASTER #3's!
<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Windowstweeker wrote:is there any lock types you would like to see... or not see like does keyway come into play? or is it an nonaffecting variable?

Surprise me, but yes, for the love of God and all that is good and Holy....

NO MASTER #3's!

Well even if i wanted to use a master 3 it wouldnt meet any requirements you cant gut it and its 4 pins lol but ya i get your point make it interesting :) talk to you later
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Windowstweeker wrote:Well even if i wanted to use a master 3 it wouldnt meet any requirements you cant gut it and its 4 pins lol but ya i get your point make it interesting :) talk to you later

Ve-e-e-r-r-y good grasshopper! You read the rules! ;)
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm

What about side bars??? Are they permitted? Will they come into play when its judging time?
<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 3:30 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Windowstweeker wrote:Well even if i wanted to use a master 3 it wouldnt meet any requirements you cant gut it and its 4 pins lol but ya i get your point make it interesting :) talk to you later

Ve-e-e-r-r-y good grasshopper! You read the rules! ;)

lol ya i did, i made the lock for the comp :D your going to love it, i just have to practice my time

talk to you later
<<

quaiboi

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 13, 2009 6:12 am

crap...i feel like joining....but my locks are crap......i ony got 2 removable core locks...i'll just have a try anyway....just for fun :).....gd luck to the other serious competitors!!
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 am

Its not all about the winning quaiboi ( so they say ) its the taking part !

Have a go m8 - you never know !!!

i didnt expect to win my abloy cutaway on ebay - but i did , i was the only bidder as well lol....

Have a go buddy (HAHA)
<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 13, 2009 2:27 pm

quaiboi wrote:crap...i feel like joining....but my locks are crap......i ony got 2 removable core locks...i'll just have a try anyway....just for fun :).....gd luck to the other serious competitors!!

fun is the most important idea for lockpicking. winning is not the objective, i dont care if i win, i just want to say i was in a comp with fellow lockpickers and we all had a fun time. and if i win then sweet if not then i can practice some more and come bck again =)

good luck to ya mate hope you do well
PreviousNext

Return to Contests