FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Newbie help with difficult padlock!!

<<

EvilBstrd

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:02 am

Newbie help with difficult padlock!!

HI all, Does anyone recognise this padlock? I can't open it and it's becoming a nightmare. I don't have the key anymore.
It looks similar to a padlock on sale on Amazon but is a different make.
All I know is it's got 5 pins!! I have tried using all my picks but to no avail.
I'm finding it hard to find which pins is the tightest one to start on.
Any help or advice would be grateful.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Newbie help with difficult padlock!!

looks like a cheap padlock, have you tried screwing it into a vise, to hold the shackle in? A spray of lubricant can also help a lot.
<<

Deadlock

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:49 am

I haven't picked that particular type of padlock, but the small 30mm wide brass padlocks I have tried can all be opened with a :snakerake: . Put the tension wrench in the keyway and move the pick into the lock with a rocking/see-saw motion. Have the curve up towards the pins. No force needed, in fact less is more as is often the case in lockpicking.
Last edited by Deadlock on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 am

I like lube on old locks.
Don't know anything about that brand.
Raking, rocking are good techniques as suggested.
I would also try a straight stick bypass.
Sometime works on cheaper locks.
Then your on to Single pin picking.
Unless you have a bump key.
<<

scudo

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:05 am

I can't open it and it's becoming a nightmare.

Dont despair I started in Jan and the only padlock I had was keyless and a cheap one (Halfords) It took me 4 weeks to pop it, then I couldnt do it again no matter how I tried. Then a couple of weeks late managed it again, eventually getting it down to a couple of minutes each time. Sometimes I cant get it but knowing I can keeps the persistance going and I get back on form with it.
Having said that I still cant work out the binding order as I seem to drop and set pins all the time on it.. As suggested try a :snakerake: but also vary the tension as well.
You WILL succeed.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am

yea man dont let those cheapo locks get ya down. sometimes theyre built so shitty that they become almost impossible to pick. make sure they key works before you go at it again
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Depends on the bitting, but a lot of the cheapies give into a 3 hump (bogota) rocked rather than pulled in and out.
<<

EvilBstrd

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

It's good to know that others struggle too.
I have used WD40 but haven't tried screwing to a vice and holding the shackle in. It did cross my mind if this was a viable thing to do but wasn't sure if that helped or not, so thx for that. I will give it a go.

I will also try the other techniques advised.

ATM I spend about an hour each evening on it, so I'm hoping if all else fails, the law of averages will give me the edge!

I shall definately post here when I eventually open it!

Thanks again everyone.
<<

EvilBstrd

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm

jharveee wrote:I would also try a straight stick bypass.

*head hung down*

I feel silly asking but I won't know if I don't ask.... what is "straight stick bypass"?

I should probably know so apologies for not doing!

eyes rolling & heads shaking! :) :stupid:
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:45 pm

EvilBstrd wrote:
jharveee wrote:I would also try a straight stick bypass.

*head hung down*

I feel silly asking but I won't know if I don't ask.... what is "straight stick bypass"?

I should probably know so apologies for not doing!

eyes rolling & heads shaking! :) :stupid:

No need to feel silly. Bypasses aren't studied too much compared to picking, just isn't as fun or reliable. It works by ignoring the locking mechanism completely and going for the lock dogs- the springy parts that keep the shackle in place. Use a half diamond you don't care about or something similarly pointy and flat. Put it in the lock with the diamond side away from the pins. Push it all the way to the back of the lock, aiming the tip as far behind and above the pins you can get. Try to visualize where the latch mechanism is. Push at the back of the lock and use the tip to try and move components towards the bottom of the keyway. If all is going right and it is possible on your lock it will give some springy resistance. Move it far enough and the lock may come open. Other susceptible locks have latches on both sides that need to be dealt with.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:54 pm

http://youtu.be/KxxCM2C4hIw
Here is a link with the technique.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 am

Also be aware that the technique frequently will not work on locks with locking dogs on both sides of the shackle. Or another tool set is required. Notice in the video that the person making the video said he 'finally found a lock it would work on'. Just because the shackle has notches on both sides for locking dogs does not mean it actually does have locking dogs on both sides.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 am

You could also try holding the lock in one hand with the tension wrench in place, and rapping the pin side of the padlock with a mallet. You might find it pops open after a few tries. Then, using the tension wrench to hold the plug in the open position, take a pick and see if you can read the pins. This will give you an idea of what you're going for the next time you try picking it from scratch. It's kind of cheating, but if the lock has risen to the level of nightmare status, it's time to start cheating a little.
<<

EvilBstrd

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:52 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the extra advice! Unfortunately I STILL haven't mastered the lock!

I have seen a very similar one for sale called a "Silverline MSS041". Has anyone come across this lock before? It's very cheap, only about £2.99!

It's becoming a mission now! :-) I still try each evening but to no avail. I tried all that's been suggested and unless anyone has knowledge of this lock I'm starting to wonder whether there's a problem with it? At least that what I'm hoping!!

I've spent many hours now and would love to know if it's me or just a faulty lock? I'm using the GOSO 24 piece lockpicks set and I've even considered whether they are not up to the job or not? They have opened other locks inc a couple of wafer locks so I'm not sure?

I've added a photo of the Silverline just in case someone regonises it?

Thanks again for all the advice and support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 am

I'll be honest, good luck with the GOSO set. I acquired that same set about 7 years ago, and haven't used them for anything more than letter openers. They do alright in this role.

I would suggest to someone learning to get a consistent lock. This doesn't mean expensive, but something that is consistent in manufacturing, that you can establish a baseline with. See the usual suspects, like Master locks.
While these are by no means high quality or especially hard to open, they are at least consistent. Generally free from obvious defects, and can be relied upon to be mechanically sound.

The lock you have (especially at that price point, and obvious quality levels) may not have worked well brand-new off the shelf, so attempting to practice on something inconsistent will cause you all manner of problems.
Keep it simple, work your way around the concepts and learn on a level that's applicable to you.
There's no point diving head first into a problem where you're wasting hours and hours every week with no signs of payoff or learning. This sort of thing usually ends in a burn-out, where you're investing time and seeing no returns - sooner or later you'll lose motivation and stop.

To someone with some years behind them, these sorts of problems usually have a few answers (ie; cut the lock off), but in instances where such thing is just not applicable (ie; antique lock, can't be replaced, needs to be put back into service same-day, etc. etc) the skill to be patient, observe the entire situation, calculate the possible problems and diagnose the fault that's leading to the visable symptoms is a fine skill to have, but it takes years of daily experience and learning.
Just take it slow, put that lock aside and practice on another until one day you'll realise "OH, of course it was x that I wasn't doing" etc.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock