FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"Forever Lock" - Ridiculously Awesome Design (Pics + Video!)

<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu May 01, 2014 3:29 am

Re: "Forever Lock" - Ridiculously Awesome Design (Pics + Vid

Congrats on the 817,000 views Marduk28! I wonder if it will hit a million by the weekend =)

:D
Squelchtone
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 01, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks!!

Getting 1 million YouTube views was something I never even dreamed about, haha. I still can't believe it!

I got some great new stuff I am planning to show.

The owner of the company has been very kind and generous to me.

If there was a padlock (50mm, 60mm, 70mm) version of this lock what do you think the reaction would be? Would you guys be interested in them? They are not being made right now, but I am wondering if they are worth producing.

I was just thinking~ If Master Lock can sell tons of trash they call padlocks, then the Forever Lock should definitely be something that people would be interested in.

Any suggestions?
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu May 01, 2014 5:19 am

Some folks at lp101 forum are talking about foil impressioning and bumping attacks, my own concern is the shackle material and how strong it is against crops or a hacksaw.

Is it at all feasible to make the key/lock mechanism like an Abloy Exec disc detainer, I know companies out there already make knock offs with only 3 or 4 discs, make a 7 disc one and voila! That would pretty much stop any talk of bumping and slow down impressioning.

and yes, a padlock version would be very cool to see, I would buy one.

Thank you,
Squelchtone
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu May 01, 2014 12:52 pm

A padlock version would be cool as hell. Maybe you can convince him to make a few HUGE samples for some of us?? ;) ;) ;)
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

ImSchatten360

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 02, 2014 2:57 am

What happens when I use some putty, sand or dirt instead of a key? Can the lock handle this?
http://www.youtube.com/ImSchatten360 Wanted: Bilock, For Sale: ASSA RUKO 3
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 02, 2014 5:15 am

I am not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it. I better remember to put that on the instructions, "don't use dirt as key", haha~

This would probably be better suited for environments that don't have a lot of sand and mud~ like in more urban areas.

Putting putty isn't recommended the same way it's not recommended to put rubber cement in your medeco keyway.
If someone other than the owner does that, I guess I would consider that vandalism.

This lock, like many locks, is not perfect~ I think it's normal for a new company to need to consider revisions.

I think it's damn cool though~ and a good starting point for future designs.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:49 am

What is wrong with putting rubber cement in your Medeco keyways? It protects the pins from dirt, water, and wear. :twisted:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 02, 2014 7:03 am

Marduk- our first lock lock celebrity. great work bringing locksport to the masses! and congrats on 1m views :shock:

I hope google is paying you right for all those ads :drool:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Gordon:

Haha, I think that might protect a little too well!!

Rerun:

Thank you for the support!

I will try hard to represent the community well!
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Marduk28 wrote:
Getting 1 million YouTube views was something I never even dreamed about, haha.

Congrats on over 1,000,000 million views!!! =)

Squelchtone
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri May 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Three cheers for Marduk and 1,000,000 views!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 10, 2014 4:53 am

Thanks Guys!! :slainte: :slainte: :hbg:

I can't believe it!! The internet is a crazy place!

I just met up with the owner of the company today and he is a very cool dude! Easy to talk to and open to suggestions! He actually holds several US Patents for cool lock designs. He also let me take a look at some prototypes he had going, but I unfortunately wasn't allowed to take photos of all of them since some are still in development.

I told him about all the suggestions you guys gave and he was interested to hear them. He is open to changes and improvements in the lock design, but it will take some time. I should be able to ship out the first batch of locks by June sometime. I will then take all the comments and suggestions I hear from the public and present it to him to see what he can implement for the next generation of Forever Lock.

He showed me the guts of the lock and he even said that if someone really wanted, he could custom build the lock to accept any lock core with any key! That means if you didn't think this was pick-proof enough you could even add a Medeco or Assa Abloy core and he could make a custom key for it.

Here is a treat for you guys! A photo of a prototype Padlock Version! It's like a mini U-Lock, kinda cute in a way. You'll notice that the locking mechanism is the same on all models, so it doesn't come in a "small" size. This padlock is super beefy and felt like it weighed almost 2 pounds! I talked to him about adding some shrouding and he said he would consider it.

Hope to give more updates soon!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat May 10, 2014 6:38 am

Marduk28 wrote:Thanks Guys!! :slainte: :slainte: :hbg:

I can't believe it!! The internet is a crazy place!

I just met up with the owner of the company today and he is a very cool dude! Easy to talk to and open to suggestions! He actually holds several US Patents for cool lock designs. He also let me take a look at some prototypes he had going, but I unfortunately wasn't allowed to take photos of all of them since some are still in development.

I told him about all the suggestions you guys gave and he was interested to hear them. He is open to changes and improvements in the lock design, but it will take some time. I should be able to ship out the first batch of locks by June sometime. I will then take all the comments and suggestions I hear from the public and present it to him to see what he can implement for the next generation of Forever Lock.

He showed me the guts of the lock and he even said that if someone really wanted, he could custom build the lock to accept any lock core with any key! That means if you didn't think this was pick-proof enough you could even add a Medeco or Assa Abloy core and he could make a custom key for it.

Here is a treat for you guys! A photo of a prototype Padlock Version! It's like a mini U-Lock, kinda cute in a way. You'll notice that the locking mechanism is the same on all models, so it doesn't come in a "small" size. This padlock is super beefy and felt like it weighed almost 2 pounds! I talked to him about adding some shrouding and he said he would consider it.

Hope to give more updates soon!

Does that pivot pin go all the way through to the other side of the lock?

Gordon
<<

scudo

Post Sat May 10, 2014 7:06 am

Ha ha looking for weaknesses already :-)

I think the lock is real cool and would love one even if just to play around with, my concern would be any weaknesses in the build as I expect they aint going to be a $5 lock so anyone buying one for security purposes is going to be hacked off if someone just thumps it with a hammer and rides your $3000 dollar bike in to the sunset. I can understand the maker not wanting to divulge too much but I would love to see the internals and how the component parts are assembled. eg how are the blue parts attached to the silver parts of the lock etc. I know any lock can be destructively accessed but I am thinking with all the moving parts there will be a weakness somewhere in all the turning/ swivelling parts.....maybe not.

No I havent talked myself out of liking this lock I think it will do well when it hits the open market.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 10, 2014 8:38 am

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I checked and no it does not go all the way through. The other side has no markings, it's just flat tube.

Luckily I took a photo of the other side too:

If you are wondering why there is a hinged shackle, I asked him and he said it's because that is how it is preferred in the "Asian" market (remember these were never really planned to be sold world-wide). He did say that he could make a version with a removable shackle if there was demand.

scudo:

Yeah I know hat you mean. To be honest this lock is still kind of "in development"- it really is a very new product that hasn't undergone "large scale" consumer testing yet. I wish I could get free ones to send out, but I can't =/. The only way the price of these will go down is if there is a big market for them. Currently it is way too cost prohibitive to try and sell these padlocks on a small scale.

One thing I am afraid of is that if these don't "take off" then the supply of them might stay limited.

I am glad you guys think it is cool though! It definitely is a "fun" Lock, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Hope to share more photos and and videos soon!
PreviousNext

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock