FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Can anyone tell me what this is for?

<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Can anyone tell me what this is for?

This might be a dumb question but I am new at this so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the little hole next to the key hole is for?

unusual lock.JPG

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Re: Can anyone tell me what this is for?

If it helps anyone else figure out what that slot is for, from the info Railyn mentioned in chat it seems to come from this company:
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/security-devices.html

and parts of their website appears to be open to folder browsing and I found this area:

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/

Although after a quick skim through likely manuals I didn't see any obvious reference to that slot.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:01 pm

It looks similar to the rekeying slots on some locks. If you press in the slot with a wiper insert with the key turned 90 degrees, does it push in further than it would if the key was not turned? Or keep pressing in it while slowly turning the key clockwise. If it moves further inwards at any point, try removing the key at that point without turning the key back.

Now I am curious.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Is there a special tool you have to use or is it just anything that fits in the hole?
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Well that didnt work, the only thing i managed to do was to pierce my finger with the tool :/ but even if I think something in there the lock just works as normal :/
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Originally it would have been a special tool.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Well if that is what its for I have no idea what this tool will look like :/ even if I did I probably couldnt make one beacuse I dont have any...tools.. to make tools with here.... ;( stupid lock!
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Since you have the key, have you considered taking it apart and making pics before reassembly? :)
Now I'm curious as well. My tip was rekey slot as well.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Almont padlocks have a hole like that in the front of their locks.

If it's for the same function, then yes it is for rekeying.

I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but if.. The way it works is by turning the cylinder to the position where that notch lines up with the driver pins. Almont prevents that from happening with a normal key by having the tip of the key hitting something and making it stop, pick the lock or cut down the tip of the key (bottom half) to allow it to turn far enough. At that point the cylinder should be able to slide forward and out, before pulling it out find a wire (paperclip bent into shape) to slide into the groove while hooking around the top of the cylinder housing. It should hold all the driver pins in place just like a follower would.

Or, if it isn't like an Almont. I would be entirely wrong.
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:12 pm

ARF-GEF wrote:Since you have the key, have you considered taking it apart and making pics before reassembly? :)
Now I'm curious as well. My tip was rekey slot as well.

I am afraid I wouldn't know how to take it apart and if I did I could probably never reassemble it again, I never done anything like that, like I said, I am very new to this... :/
<<

Railyn

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:Almont padlocks have a hole like that in the front of their locks.

If it's for the same function, then yes it is for rekeying.

I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but if.. The way it works is by turning the cylinder to the position where that notch lines up with the driver pins. Almont prevents that from happening with a normal key by having the tip of the key hitting something and making it stop, pick the lock or cut down the tip of the key (bottom half) to allow it to turn far enough. At that point the cylinder should be able to slide forward and out, before pulling it out find a wire (paperclip bent into shape) to slide into the groove while hooking around the top of the cylinder housing. It should hold all the driver pins in place just like a follower would.

Or, if it isn't like an Almont. I would be entirely wrong.

I tried this and I didn't get it to work.. but then again that could just be me doing it wrong :???:

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock