FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Yale Padlock Lever or Warded? What's the difference?

<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Old Yale Padlock Lever or Warded? What's the difference?

Okay guys I am having a little problem here. I always thought all of these old Yale padlocks had the same kind of locking mechanism which you guys call "warded" or something like that... Since I am not really into American padlocks I need your help on this. Are there 2 types of these old padlocks warded and lever? I have uploaded the picture of the Padlock handbook showing the Yale No. 833 so far for the lever. If there are two types, then how do the internals on the warded look like? And how can I tell whether mine is warded or lever? Can you tell the difference by the bittings on the key or maybe the lock itself? Any idea?

I have also added pictures of a fella lock collector who would like to know which type his padlocks are.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Tue May 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Old Yale Padlock Lever or Warded? What's the difference?

I believe they're warded, although I could be wrong. I have one that's stamped Bell Telephone, and is in like new condition.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 pm

The drawing is clearly a lever lock. The pictures, I'm not an expert, but they look like lever locks, judging by the keys. I make this judgement not as an expert, but because the bitting cuts of the key appear to be different heights. Granted, some warded locks may have wards at different heights, but it is less common in mass-produced locks. I am not an expert on older Yale lever/warded locks, though.

In a lever lock, with which you are no doubt familiar, the bitting of the key lift the lever(s) to the correct height, which allows the locking dog (or bar) to be moved through the gates in the levers.

In a warded lock, the cuts in the key align with non-moving parts. The key itself acts on the spring, locking dog, or whatever the part that keeps the shackle locked.

If the parts inside the lock that align with the key cuts do not move, it is probably a warded lock. If they move, it is probably a lever lock.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Tue May 07, 2013 10:03 pm

These are lever locks with wards. Yale altered the the ward positions and number of lever as well the key hole cover to create variation. Some locks used flat steel keys and others mostly used nickle silver keys. These locks are fun to pick and impression. I would advise anyone attempting to pick these locks to take great care. The levers can get shaved by the edge of the pick, thus damaging them.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Hey Gwiens thanks for the informative reply mate!
I have no idea how to make out if they move I tired it with a flashlight and carefully with a pic but I am not a "feel" person.

Also a big thanks to Lauren for the warning but I am not a picker :)

Will the bypass keys for warded locks work on these?
<<

Lauren

Post Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Bypass keys will not work on these locks.
<<

Neilau

Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:20 pm

The old Yale locks (on the pink towel) are mine.

Thanks Dicey for posting them.

I think I have found the type of key. I can't find any internal wards but there is a ward at the beginning of the keyway, near the bow of the key.

Key.jpg

These locks were made to be serviced and I have removed the two pins that hold the mechanism but as the lock is still locked it won't slide out.

Now that I think that I have found the correct key type I'll knock up something that can use for tensioning and get in a pick to work the levers.

The large lock has two levers and the small one has three.

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 am

Your type of key should be the same as the one that Dicey posted with his. The only difference is the size of it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Thu May 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Dont mean to bust this party up but there known as warded locks/keys/cuts, this type of padlock has nothing to do with levers ! the one you uploaded is a warded padlock ive also seen them as pin tumblers,

This picture ive uploaded is a padlock with levers

Hope this helps
<<

uklockpicker

Post Thu May 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Take a look on a antiques forum they normally have this common padlock with keys

This type of lock will require a double sided key with wards like the one you have pictured
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu May 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Actually UKLP, these types of yales can and do have levers in them. In the first post, top picture if you enlarge if you can see.

<<

uklockpicker

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Interesting ... the one's pictured aint levers, sorry i didnt enlarge the 1st pic but yep there levers very cool padlock
<<

Riyame

Post Thu May 16, 2013 6:08 pm

They could be lever padlocks. They used the same type of key as the warded ones. I have a couple of them and you can feel the spring of the levers even though they look like a warded lock form the key hole.

I have a code book that shows what the key cuts should be. There should be some letters and numbers on the face of the lock on the deeper areas.

<<

Neilau

Post Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 am

Hi Riyame.

There are no numbers or letters on the H&TV lock just a stame on the shakle that says "British Manufacture"

The smaller Y&T lock us US made.

BUGGER IT !!!!!!!

I'm going to take it apart (hopefully without wrecking it). I'll remove the shackle pin.

I'll post pictures.

Neil.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock