FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

old DALAV 4 lever padlock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 am

old DALAV 4 lever padlock

I picked this padlock I got from Switzerland with my thinned out key. I lifted one lever at a time trying to figure out what to do to pick it, and I felt some lever became harder. I noticed a sort of binding order even if I wasn't applying tension. I left the hard levers alone and continued to lift the others. Suddenly the shackle popped open.
I oiled the padlock to make it work smoother and to prevent further corrosion, as you can see it's pretty rusty.
Then I picked it a few times, it feels good when the shackle pops out with force :mrgreen:

I decided to try and make a key for it by impressioning a key similar to the one I used to pick it. I blackened the tip with a bic lighter and inserted and turned then extracted and filed... I almost got there but I ended up filing too much.
Now I need to make or find another "blank" and start over again. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers :)
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: old DALAV 4 lever padlock

Great Padlock femurat!

How'd you explain the picking without tension applied? I can't figure that out :???:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am

Yep it's a pretty cool padlock :cool:

I think the shackle has a strong spring that pushes it out. Lifting the right lever to the right height locks it in place. Well, actually holds it in place, since the lever is not locked but it's less free to move than before. Then if I lift the right lever to the right height it got hold too... and at a certain point I have to push one lever and the shackle is fired out!
If I get the order wrong I have to push the shackle like if I want to close it and I hear a click. Now the levers are reset. There's no other way to "release" tension and let one or more levers drop.

Cheers :)
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 13, 2013 9:20 am

That's a cool concept. The lock is permantly with tension applied!
Very nice finding mate!
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock