FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Simmons Commemorative lock

<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Simmons Commemorative lock

I just had to show this lock because of the key. The lock was a commemorative lock put out by Simmons hardware co., to show all the locations of their major warehouses. The lock is from the 1920's. It's a six lever lock that I purchased locked without a key ( kind of par for the course when it comes to these old locks). Not having a barrel blank the right size, I opted for the next best thing, make one. I decided to make a brass key , and not having any brass barrel stock, I started with a solid chunk of used brass bar stock I had laying around. I drilled the hole for the center of the barrel then rough cut it to shape. After a lot of grinding and filing I was able to form the round barrel and the two flats. Now it was time to cut it to make the lock open. I had already picked the lock and figured out the heights and depths so I transfered those measurements to the key. I took my time cutting ,filing and testing the key many times before it finally worked perfectly. The next thing was what to do with the bow of the key? I tossed around several traditional designs, but in the end I opted for the Letter S for Simmons. After it was all cut out and filed into shape I took it to the buffing wheel and polished it out. At least this way I can show it's a one of a kind. Hope you all enjoy the pictures. Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Simmons Commemorative lock

Very cool.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Wow! Beautiful work on that key... very nice.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks guys. I've made other brass keys for locks, but usually I start out with either a brass tube or round brass rod which I drill. Then I silver solder the flats and bow on them and go from there. This was the first time I built one from a solid chunk of brass.
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock