FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Some of my antique padlocks

<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Some of my antique padlocks

This is one of my display cases with a few of my padlocks. I'll post more when I can find the time. Hope you all enjoy them. Mark
padlocks 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Some of my antique padlocks

Here's an interesting padlock that I purchased awhile back . It reminds me of an English lock, but I've never seen a lock with this sliding type key. When I purchased it, it was locked without a key. After examining it I found a blank in my collection that would fit. I impressioned it an d hand cut it and presto, it works. Hopefully someone can provide some background on it. Thanks, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Wow, that is a really cool lock :shock:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey mate, VERY nice collection!

You are not by any chance up for a trade for that "Big Bill - 6 Lever" padlock?
A Keen Cutter nice one :)
<<

monraet

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Very Nice collection of locks...Thanks for sharing......
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for the nice comments. Anyone want to venture a guess as to which lock in the picture is the rarest and most valuable? and why?
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:20 pm

You have some very cool stuff!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 pm

oldbiscuit wrote:Thanks for the nice comments. Anyone want to venture a guess as to which lock in the picture is the rarest and most valuable? and why?

I like the display, it gives me some ideas for getting my collection mounted.

As for the most valuable, any guess I made would be just that: a guess. I'm afraid my knowledge in regards to antique locks is sadly deficient, but if I had to guess I'd venture it's the combination lock in the center row on the far left, with a white and green tag behind it. Mostly because it strikes me somehow as the most unassuming of the bunch.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 am

I am thinking it might be top row, third from the left. With the large hole in the center, the locking mechanism might be a fair bit different from the others. But like MBI, am not an expert on antique locks by anyone's standards. My second choice would be that combo lock.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 am

The worlds fair padlock in the middle looks rare to me, never seen one of those ;)
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 am

Great looking set of oldies you got there they look like you know how to restore stuff.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 am

oldbiscuit wrote:Thanks for the nice comments. Anyone want to venture a guess as to which lock in the picture is the rarest and most valuable? and why?

My GAWD! now that I've controlled the drooling to a mild drip, and picked my bottom jaw up off the floor, I've done some research for you. From my research books available which by the way were printed in 1988 so the prices have to be higher than what I'm about to tell you. the 1904 Worlds Fair lock made by Eagle lock company in the third row, fourth lock from the left is listed in 1988 at 375.00! that's got to be the highest value and rarest I believe. here are some others I found.
Winchester padlock first row, second lock 60.00
Dan Patch lock fourth row third lock 125.00
The north Pole lock commemorating Admiral Byrd's exposition made by Slaymaker 85.00
Our Very Best lock on fourth row, fourth lock made by HSB Co. 75.00
Russell & Irwin MFG Co. third row third lock 250.00
Combo lock in fourth row first lock made by W.A. Harrison INC. Insurance Lock 55.00
Russel & Irwin MFG Co. third row Fifth lock Pat'd Jan.31 1899 175.00
Good Luck padlock first row third lock made by Bellamy's Pat'd June 24, 1878 45.00
Crusader Padlock first row first lock 50.00
Yale Lion padlock third row sixth padlock was Pat'd Feb 1896 and is listed with a BRASS shackle for 65.00 yours is steel.
BBB lock first row second lock Bingham's Best Brand Pat'd on March 17, 1908 65.00
CQD fourth row sixth lock Simmons Wireless commemorating the Titanic 60.00
And the Monster lock in the Second picture I'm pretty sure is an E. Cotterill & Co. lock. a similar one in my books but with a different locking mechanism is listed at 400.00 but it's not the same as yours so I didn't list it as the most valuable.
Wow! Let me know if you ever want to sell/trade the monster lock. I don't have that type in my collection . ;)
Jim
keymaster1053
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm

OK now if anyone wants to really know which lock I consider to be my most valuable and rarest,it's... 3rd row down 2nd from the left. Benedict Warren & Davidson Co Memphis Tenn. This is only 1 of 3 known to exist, the other 2 are in big collections of a couple of world renowned collectors. Here is a picture of the back side. The company (hardware) was started in 1903 and changed names when it was bought into in 1910.When I recieved this lock, it was pretty beat up, someone had tried to pry it open after beating it with a hammer. I took the lock apart, straightened the case, made new brass springs and cut a new key. After careful reassembly, and reriveting the case, I repatenaed the shiny spots and what you see is what I ended up with. I've turned down a $1000 offer on it.
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Here are some more pictures of my current traveling display cases. The previous display was last years display.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 pm

oldbiscuit wrote:OK now if anyone wants to really know which lock I consider to be my most valuable and rarest,it's... 3rd row down 2nd from the left. Benedict Warren & Davidson Co Memphis Tenn. This is only 1 of 3 known to exist, the other 2 are in big collections of a couple of world renowned collectors. Here is a picture of the back side. The company (hardware) was started in 1903 and changed names when it was bought into in 1910.When I recieved this lock, it was pretty beat up, someone had tried to pry it open after beating it with a hammer. I took the lock apart, straightened the case, made new brass springs and cut a new key. After careful reassembly, and reriveting the case, I repatenaed the shiny spots and what you see is what I ended up with. I've turned down a $1000 offer on it.

Sometimes having a good story behind it makes a lock twice as interesting.

A simply marvelous collection.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock