FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Shaw Walker safe - request from Chile

<<

luisaguayo

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Re: Shaw Walher safe - request from Chile

Hi, the book link it's not working, I will try again later.

This safe has between 90 -100 years and I hear and feel ticks, when a whell engage, etc.

I didn't tried 41 to both sides, just left. Tomorrow i will try both sides and register the other tick "fixed" numbers.

I have to say, I'm an IT proffesional and good in handicrafts so I'm really enjoying this challenge and the help received from 3 countries has been just amaizing.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:14 pm

Yup, looks like that site is down at the moment. You can also have at look at this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B89g6z ... NhTTQ/view
You can also read what Oldfast wrote about this lock: https://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?p=95066#p95066

It is normal, that wheels tick, when they engage, but that has no relation to the position of the gates.

Sounds like you have a new project.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

Am I fashionably late to the party? As Luis said, he and I have been trying to work on this via Twitter Direct Message. I made a video of my Shaw Walker branded Mosler B-103 and set the wheels his combination and made a video of the dialing order for 41-60-83 but the lock did not open for him when he tried it.

I have 3 theories currently as to what the deal is with the 5 digit combination.

Theory 1. Some of the numbers are fake and meant to distract someone who found the combination. Maybe every other number is real? Maybe the combination is 41-83-99 Maybe the other things that L4R3L2 wrote down to try, flip some numbers backwards, etc. It may be some sort of short hand the relative used. I do like Martin's comment that a lot of people will include the drop in / bolt retraction as a number in the combination therefore making it seem like a 4 or 5 number combination when it is really 3 or 4 numbers.

Theory 2. Those numbers do in fact unlock the safe, but the relative was not dialing them as the factory intended. Meaning that while you and I may do R4-L3-R2-L1 to open, the relative may have dialed it in their own way that stopped on all 5 of those numbers before opening. Maybe they dialed it like a Master combination padlock, just Left Right Left and not R4, L3, etc.. If that is the case, then I wonder if we can deduce which of these 5 numbers would be the real combination numbers that Luis could try dialing in the correct R4-L3-R1-L1 way. I have this lock and mounted Right Hand, I dial my 3 digit combo and then I keep turning Left until the flipper fence drops in starting at 20 and I get full stop at 30 on the dial when the bolt is fully retracted. I do not however see 30 on the list of numbers that Luis provided. Dave McOmie book shows this safe as being RH mount, using a Mosler B-103 lock with 2 bolts extending into the Left frame of the safe if you are standing in front of the safe. Drilling and Punching the came will also not work as the safe locks bolt is encased in a metal loop connected to the bolt work.

Theory 3. The dial is from a Mosler B-103, but the lock mechanism is not original and someone put a 4 wheel lock with retraction happening at 99. or the combination is fully backwards written in "code" and the combination is 99-89-83-60-40 and dialing would be R5-L4-R3-L2-R1 to 40 instead of 41-60-83-89-99

Hope this helps
Squelchtone
Last edited by Squelchtone on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

luisaguayo

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm

Re: Shaw Walker safe - request from Chile

Hi Squelchtone,

As you said "flipper fence drops in starting at 20 and I get full stop at 30"

That means 30-20=10 and that's the same as 99-89 so it seems to me 89 it's the number where fence drops and 99 where must be full stop, moving to the left 89 -99.

As I have tested RLR using the first 3 numbers and the last 2 numbers LL, it seems to me I have to test some other 3 numbers order, as 83-60-41, 41-83-60, 60-83-41, 60-41-83, etc, maintaining both 89-99 to the left

I will not wait, in a couple hours I-ll be trying again and let you all know
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Squelchtone,

Theory 1: Yup, could be.

Theory 2: Regarding the shortened dialing sequence ... Because the 103 is a hand change with pins, I don*t think it can be configured to a combination where single LRL dialing could open it.

Theory 2b: If your lock stops at 30, then I would assume the Chilean lock does too.
Luis: Could you try to feel for a contact point around 20?

Theory 3: The 103 is indeed just a guess, a pretty good guess, but a guess.
Luis: Could you try to count the wheels? Turn the dial 5x left to 60 and turn right to nearly 60, i.e. 65 to 70. Then quickly turn right over 60. If it picks up a wheel you should be able to feel/hear a click and possible an increase in torque resistance. The repeat the turn right to nearly 60 and feel of a wheel pick up until you don*t feel a pickup. This gives you the information of how many wheels the lock has.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
Previous

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock