FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Wurlitzer juke box

<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am

Wurlitzer juke box

Got this old guy a couple years ago, and finally sitting down to open 'er up.

This looks like a plain old wafer lock, but I can't make it happen. I've gotten it to turn about 15 degrees, but that's about it. Any suggestions are welcome!

20170904_112725.jpg

20170904_112719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Wurlitzer juke box

Most likely it's a double sided wafer lock.
Keyway looks like Chicago K4W.
These can be a pain to pick , because the wafers can reset several times in a single rotation. Sometimes they are connected to treaded rods , so the have to be turned several rotations to remove the lock and open the device.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 am

Signs point to you being correct, but it feels really weird.

It starts here:

20170904_114727.jpg

The core is spring loaded until it stops here:

20170904_114731.jpg

I was able to pick it to here, then it *clunks* like it's coming up against a hard stop. I can't pick it further.

Edit: It still spring returns at this point. I thought maybe it was a sticky actuator, but even with a screwdriver it's not going anywhere at that point.

20170904_114538.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 am

There's also this guy on the lock box. I can't get anything from it. No feedback, no rotation, no binders. I tried raking and SPPing.

At least it's giving me something to do today :)

20170904_131142.jpg
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 am

I put up a quick video on Reddit so you can see how it acts after the initial pick.
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

Oh dear God I'm stupid. I had it unlocked the whole time but was pulling on the wrong part to open it.

20170904_134054.jpg
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm

That Vandel Alarm lock looks to be trashed inside by a Vandel. :hammering:

When you put a small screwdriver in the keyway does the cylinder have any left and right easy wiggle play or does it feel sold as a rock? Do any of the wafers even have spring to them when you try to move them? Look inside it with bright flashlight what is the spring looking thing at an angle above half center? Plus looks like something else maybe sideways like a part of a broken wafer it is hard to tell from the picture. Has the look of being jacked up from a screwdriver trying to force it open and might be broke enough to open with one. I wouldn't try that until you have determined it has broken pieces of lock body, spring or brass wafer twisted in it. If you do see things broken see if you can remove any of it might be something else foreign stuck in it by someone it just looks broken to me.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock