FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A user changeable lock (ksc and U-change)

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:40 pm

A user changeable lock (ksc and U-change)

I have a KSC lock, and my hope was to get a workable key for this lock. When a set of U-Change locks became available, I though "Great! I'll just pick this guy, insert the change tool in the locked position, and I'm done!" Well, the key profile is different. I then filed a 1023 blank to fit, then cut the key I received onto the modified blank. I was unable to turn the key to the locked position after removing the change tool, so some investigation was in order.

This lock has an ingenious if not particularly secure mechanism. A tiny locking pin fits into grooves in the pin. A spring loaded telescoping pin setup is locked to the bottom part of the pin in normal operating mode, however when the key is turned 90 degrees clockwise from the locked position and the change tool inserted, the top part of the bottom pin assembly is disengaged from the bottom part of the bottom pin assembly. The old key can be removed, and the desired key can be can be inserted. When the change tool is removed, the locking pins fit into grooves in the bottom pins, and the key can then be turned to the locked position. If the locking pin doesn't precisely line up with the groove, the key can't be turned back.

Interesting enough, there are only 4 possible depths per pin. Since there are 5 pins, this gives 4x4x4x4x4 or 1024 possible keys. Four depths and having the size of the pin determinable with a pick when the lock is locked means that this lock could be decoded.
IMG_2240.JPG

Here is the pin assembly with the top of the pin locked to the bottom of the pin, plus the assembly that holds the pin assembly during normal operation of the lock.
IMG_2238.JPG

The pin assembly dissasembled
IMG_2239.JPG

My two keys, plus the change tool.

I don't have the Peterson bypass too, but I can now understand how it works, so I don't need to have one for myself. There aren't any spools or security pins in this lock, which makes this lock easy to pick. You can indeed change the key yourself though!
IMG_2241.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: A user changeable lock (ksc and U-change)

Some member named Lauren invented a bypass tool for these locks. Blanks are easy to machine.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Lauren wrote:Some member named Lauren invented a bypass tool for these locks. Blanks are easy to machine.

He even wrote a couple of books with some great tools in them. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Lol funny locks. I've had one of the UCHANGE locks, picked it on camera in seconds. I have since sent it out on a trade. Never had a key for it, never tried to make one. Seems way to insecure to bother. But as a collectors piece I could see why someone would want to.

Funny how someone would make a bypass for a lock that is VERY easy to pick.
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:41 pm

WestCoastPicks wrote:Lol funny locks. I've had one of the UCHANGE locks, picked it on camera in seconds. I have since sent it out on a trade. Never had a key for it, never tried to make one. Seems way to insecure to bother. But as a collectors piece I could see why someone would want to.

Because bypass is faster (in this case) each and every time.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Lauren wrote:
WestCoastPicks wrote:Lol funny locks. I've had one of the UCHANGE locks, picked it on camera in seconds. I have since sent it out on a trade. Never had a key for it, never tried to make one. Seems way to insecure to bother. But as a collectors piece I could see why someone would want to.

I can understand that in normal circumstances, but it takes 10 seconds to pick. What do you save? 8 seconds? Lol. Hardly seems worth having a tool for. But that's just me. I'm sure that to many people it's worth having.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Nice writeup, I've got a few in the collection.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm pretty sure I could have machined 3 slots into some brass stock, then cut the bitting, but I don't know if this lock warrants this kind of effort. Lauren: Did Peterson copy your design, or is this something that you both came up with independently?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:42 pm

tpark wrote:I'm pretty sure I could have machined 3 slots into some brass stock, then cut the bitting, but I don't know if this lock warrants this kind of effort. Lauren: Did Peterson copy your design, or is this something that you both came up with independently?

He licensed the product to Peterson.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:24 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
tpark wrote:I'm pretty sure I could have machined 3 slots into some brass stock, then cut the bitting, but I don't know if this lock warrants this kind of effort. Lauren: Did Peterson copy your design, or is this something that you both came up with independently?

He licensed the product to Peterson.

Gordon

Ahh, Ok. Did they ever try and change the design of the lock to stop this bypass? Maybe the retaining lug could be redesigned to mostly block the small change key hole unless the plug is rotated to the change position. I don't know if that would be enough to cover the other serious defects of this lock.
1) No real duplication protection.
2) Limited keyspace
3) Extremely easy to pick.
4) Can be easily decoded.

Because of the way the pins work, I don't think this can be bumped. It's quite cool that Lauren developed this bypass, but the lock isn't hard at all, so a skilled locksmith wouldn't need the tool. Here in the Great White North, I've seen only one of these on a storefront door (it was closed out).
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:19 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
Lauren wrote:Some member named Lauren invented a bypass tool for these locks. Blanks are easy to machine.

He even wrote a couple of books with some great tools in them. :)

Gordon

Are those the "extreme antique padlock collector" books you are reffering to ? Or does he have more books that i don't know about ?
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 am

Those are the ones.

Gordon
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am

WestCoastPicks wrote:
Lauren wrote:

I can understand that in normal circumstances, but it takes 10 seconds to pick. What do you save? 8 seconds? Lol. Hardly seems worth having a tool for. But that's just me. I'm sure that to many people it's worth having.

Because picking them blind is not always 10 seconds.. Bypassing is always 10 seconds or less. The bypass tool I made based on laurens design is smaller than most picks, and it fits nicely in my pick case.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:24 am

WestCoastPicks wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Picking these locks is very easy in a "locksport" setting when you are sitting down and comfy and can clean the lock up a bit. When the lock is in use and has some weather to it they are not always easy to pick. That is where the bypass comes in handy.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 am

Tpark, thanks for post on the U-change subject. Jeff Moss hit it right. I love the variety of opinions that this forum brings.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock