FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ASSA 7 lever lock, unkown age

<<

Patrick Star

Post Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:50 am

ASSA 7 lever lock, unkown age

This lock had been sitting outside in harsh climate for quite some time as you can tell by the condition of the housing.
Some resistance when turning the key but still works! Even though ants and cobweb came out of it and some levers were really stuck together due to some genius lubricating it with oil.

Only fault was that the little ring in the keyhole that stops the key going in too far was missing on one side, so if you insert the key all the way it ends up poking out the other side. Also, the springs look a bit rusty and fragile. I thought everyone had agreed in the 19th century that a common spring was preferable. Still, can't really complain about the durability.
Surprisingly no anti-pick notches or serrations on the levers. I haven't given it a shot yet, but should be pickable with just bent wires.

Lock housing with levers removed

Levers... 9 in total but only 7 of them are actually part of the code

Key. Note the perfect staircase bitting. I guess whoever assembled it was tired of his/her job :) For those who aren't familiar with this flavor of lever locks, the key is usually symmetric so it works from both sides of the lock.

I really like the esthetics of these. Almost looks like the parts could be carved out of stone. Certainly different from the locks with one million little tiny pieces!

I actually didn't know ASSA made these kind of lever locks. Typically in Sweden you associate them with FAS (which nowadays is a part of the ASSA ABLOY group, but this is clearly ASSA branded).

I don't know the exact age of it - would be interesting if someone could narrow it down.
Lock itself says ASSA and Ruko.
Key says ASSA-STENMAN - when did ASSA stop using the full name?
The house was built in 1964 but the lock was probably retrofitted at some point since the slot in the door was just carved out of the wood.

PS. Might be worth mentioning that the otherwise similar FAS 7 lever locks require turning the key twice to fully retract/extend the bolt. This one only requires turning once, as can be seen in the pictures of the levers despite my poor photography.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 am

Re: ASSA 7 lever lock, unkown age

wow what a find. I had no idea Assa made these either.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:46 am

ASSA apparently has a ASSA 90000 series in their catalogue but I assumed those were just FAS locks. Almost all lever locks of this kind I've seen in Sweden are FAS branded.

They are listed as 9 lever - no idea if they count the two "0 bitted" (8 by the numbering on the levers - they need to be raised to the maximum position and not left alone) in the total or not.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:19 pm

To correct the title of the thread a bit, this should count as a 9 lever lock despite only 7 being very relevant - I studied a new FAS 309 (marketed as 9 lever) and it's the same way. Also interesting to note that just like this one it doesn't have any anti-pick features.
I haven't managed to pick this one fully "levered" but trying to produce some crude tools for the purpose.
I have picked it with half the levers neutralized however, by using a key with half the bitting filed off to tension it. It gets tricky to access the levers when trying to do this "for real" however - I suspect I need to either build something with the same shape from scratch or make a groove in the side of the key for the "lever poking stick".
<<

Petrolhead

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Very intresting, im also courious to learn pick these locks =)
<<

Patrick Star

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 am

For reference... A (relatively) new FAS 309 9 lever lock (very common in Sweden in case someone is wondering about the Swedish interest here :))

I guess they are meant to be resistant to physical attack (with the way they are usually mounted, you have to drill through the door to reach the gate/stump area) and reliable under harsh conditions (though they could do better with a common spring instead).
<<

Petrolhead

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:27 am

I noticed that it wasint 309 I had, its a LB9900, but its identical as your picture.

And I have two of those on my garage door, and once I did arrive to it I did found a tool (pick) and wanted to know the security on those locks.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:45 am

Definitely very interesting! Got pictures of the tool? Still have it?

According to the ever-reliable ( :-) ) Aftonbladet, there was a series of thefts where picking these lever locks were thought to be the method of entry: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article17397969.ab

I'd guesstimate (not a lever lock expert)
Physical attack: As good as whatever cover the door it's mounted in offers.
Picking: Not bottom-of-the-barrel resistance by any measure but reasonably doable with skill.
Impressioning: Very doable, takes a while though (but can be done in several short sessions, maybe not much of a threat in a residential setting).
Self impressioning: Very doable with special tools, and quick.
There is a Youtube video of the latter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxqD_W8tggg , and while I can't vouch for it being real the principle definitely works.

The security rating ("klass 3") for these basically state that they have to resist manipulation for 10 minutes, but that basically means basic single-lever-picking and not a very skilled attacker.
<<

Petrolhead

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:03 pm

It was just a bend pick, I did throw it away (because i was so pissed off) aint the first time they tried to access the garage.
Yeah ive read that to.

I tried with this and I did not get any feeling at all (sorry for my bad english)

Thanks for the info m8 :razz:
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:53 am

That pick is intended for this kind of lever lock:
The tension/pick heads of that pick are too thick - it would poke multiple levers at once. And the whole assembly is likely too thick to fit through the keyhole. Finally I'm a bit unsure about whether the range of movement etc. would work.
But the principle definitely is the same. See the picture from the Aftonbladet article for an idea how the tool should look.
You will want both ends - one will tension, the other will set the two levers at the other end that are always the same bitting (that way it also works from both ends of the lock).

Are you sure that thing you found in the lock wasn't some bypass tool?
Was there a key inserted in the other end of the lock at the time by any chance? Then a wire can be used either to poke the key out of the lock so it can be fished up under the door (eg. by having it drop on a sheet of paper under the door) or turning the key on the inside.
<<

Petrolhead

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:21 am

I noticed it was wrong tool to use, aint easy to be a noobie =)
Can I ask what name that tool have as in it the Aftonbladet without getting any trouble as I did in 101.

It was a hex key inserted (had to look up the english word) and you can access from inside.
Its a metal garage door, i did place the two lever lock's in the metal door, on the sides and made hole for the dob that goes out to fit one cm frame (kinda proud of the placement) im gonna need to place a metalplate over the side of the door (dont know the english word for it) to protect the nob that lockes (so you cant access it from the outside.
So the only access is from the front.
I think its a noobie that tried to open it and didint notice that it was a real lever lock mounted (lucky me)

Thanks for the correction about my tool =)
I did grind it down a little, so its fits hahaha
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:40 am

It's called a Hobbs pick (named after the great Alfred Charles Hobbs, look him up!), or 2-in-1 pick. Haven't seen any specifically for these locks for sale - the Aftonbladet tool is obviously home-made.

You can try picking it with the cover off to see what's actually going on. You just need to make sure the levers stay in place - two obvious options would be making an opening in the original cover, or making a transparent one.
<<

Petrolhead

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 am

Thanks, im gonna make one with plexiglas
<<

Patrick Star

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Had a look at a FAS 309 "narrow profile" 9 lever lock today, with a hook "swing" bolt.
The design is actually quite different - probably for increased force resistance.
As you can see, the levers are quite tiny (relatively speaking...), and the bolt doesn't go straight into the levers. The whole side of the lock with the bolt assembly can pivot relative to the rest of the lock - I think this is to protect the rest of the lock and door if you start bending on the side of it. As may or may not be visible in the pictures this wouldn't help you actually get the bolt open either. When the thing is actually assembled there's also a cover over the lever assembly with lots of steel for drill protection.
I have seen even smaller versions in action, which would presumably use the same lever package but different "surroundings".
Interestingly enough the levers has serrations. Oddly enough the stump doesn't, so I doubt it does a lot for the pickability.

PS. Maybe time for a separate thread for these lever locks. And some actual picking of them!

lever.png

empty.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Patrick Star wrote:PS. Maybe time for a separate thread for these lever locks. And some actual picking of them!

I'd add a vote for that
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock