FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Small Yale PKPT padlock

<<

candado3

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Small Yale PKPT padlock

I recently purchased a small Yale push key padlock.
The body of the lock is 1.112” wide, 1.114” tall and 0.53” thick.
One side of the body has YALE MADE IN U.S.A. and the other MADE FOR U.S.
On the bottom is U T 2385. (there are 8 photos)
Does anyone have any information on this nice little padlock?

I was able to shim it to open it but could not figure how to dismantle it without damaging it so decided to try to impression the lock.

This is my first attempt at impressioning any lock so did a google search and came away with a number of tips. One of the tips suggested using copper to do an initial impression so I hunted around and found some copper strapping that I thought would fit the bill. I cut it down to rough size and then filed it to what I thought would be the proper width. Since I have a number of large Yale PKPT padlocks some with and some without keys so tried one of the keys and it inserted into the keyway of the little one nicely so I copied the profile of the slant at the tip and then went on to slowly impression my copper blank.

All was going well and then while jiggling the lock and putting tension on the shackle the lock snapped open. I locked the padlock and tried the key but it did not open without quite a bit of jiggling and then opens with a bit of a snap.

Looking back on the keyway I do not think that this lock had a flat key so does anyone know which key blank would be the correct one for this lock?

Where I would appreciate help is in some tips on how to go about fine-tuning the key so that it works smoothly. I’m afraid to file much more away lest I take off too much and then have to start all over again.
Thanks in advance for any help you can supply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Small Yale PKPT padlock

Why limit your self to just one padlock. You are certainly expressing some good creativity. Check out my book:http://www.blurb.com/b/6565733-the-extreme-antique-padlock-collector
<<

candado3

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:25 pm

I have purchased your book and am slowly going through it.
When I find the time I plan to decode and key some of the pancake padlocks that I own.
I also plan to make keys for some of the other PKPT's that I have once I get some proper key blanks.
I've shimmed most of them and have loosened the bushings so they are ready to be worked on.
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Perhaps that's why I was drawn to your post. I see my creative spirit at work too.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock