FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What dis?

<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:03 pm

What dis?

Kaba branded high-security IC-type cylinder with 3 unique key bittings one on each side and and on top of the blade. US Patent #5,010,753.

Sorry, no banana for scale.

kaba_lock.jpg

kaba_key.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: What dis?

looks like a vending machine lock to me. no idea what "System" it is
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

I just visited the patent page for it, drawings show it in a knob. Weird stuff like a flase bible and, most notable, a pin along the blade of the key just in front of the head, which I never noticed before now and don't speak the language of patents to understand exactly what it's purpose is.

https://www.google.com/patents/US5010753

US5010753-13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:42 pm

I have noticed kaba locks with the brand name HAFELE on the packets - boxes many dimple style keys for better security
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:58 pm

I would be very interested to know what it is too. The side of the key looks weird on the photo, a bit like a laser (sidewinder) but it could just be the angle. The cuts on the top of the key look good (different to other Kaba, more like Dom cuts) and the springy-pin thing?
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:52 pm

As I understand it, this is a key-in-knob type retrofit cylinder, intended for instant core swaps like a standard IC (though operating on a different principle). What you have appears to be the core only, not the false bible housing.

With a standard key, the cylinder operates like any other. To remove, a control key with elongated bitting and blade is used to turn the plug to about ten o'clock. Once oriented, the key is pushed farther in (hence the elongated bitting), which disengages the retaining pin and allows core removal.

The spring-loaded projection on the key, as I understand it, "unlocks" the plug for rotation. See US Patent 4,823,575 for more detail (as well as a detailed, exploded view of a cylinder like this. http://www.google.com/patents/US4823575

Take this with a grain of salt; I've never used one of these, only read up on them.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:46 am

huxleypig wrote:The side of the key looks weird on the photo, a bit like a laser (sidewinder) but it could just be the angle.

They are elongated dimple cuts, like Robotnik stated, that allow the key to be inserted further. Really weird design. I have no idea where it came from either, since it was mixed up in a box with defunct Gemini keys (sadly no cylinders) that was destined for the scrap bin. Makes me think it was a forgotten sample. More digging.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock