FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Improved Master 1 teardown

<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: Improved Master 1 teardown

I went to The Home Depot and purchased some more master locks. I got my bypass tools to work on the number 3 **once**, but I think it was a fluke, the knife always works, but I can't get the wire probe one to work again. Mine needs some refinement.

The other one I purchased was a magnum. This one actually doesn't seem too terrible - it claimed to have Max pick resistance, but there are no security pins. This lock did pass my quick scrub/bitch pick test though. I note that the plug has some countermilling, so you might have to visit some pins a second time, but it's really not going to add much time if you're able to pick locks. My sample has no spools or serrated pins, but I added some just because. The rubber weather shield on mine was held down by the bolt assembly holding down the hardened plate guarding the plug - I think that the bolt should be tightened against the plate, but that could be a manufacturing error on this one. It has a ball bearing locking mechanism, and it's positioned so that it's harder to get a bypass tool in there (an improvement over the American locks). I haven't tried to cut this lock yet. I should tighten the bolt holding the hardened cylinder guard in place. I put some spools and serrated pins/top pins in there, and maybe now I'll trust it to keep my lawn chairs safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lauren

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 pm

The curve on the bypass wire tool has to be just right as well as the flat spot on the tool's tip. Remember, this portion must be rotated until you hear the "click". Depth control is also important to maximize contact with the shackle spring side of the locking dog. With practice, you should be able to open each lock in under 10 seconds. Keep at it and use .047" piano wire. Bypassing these locks is just another notch in one's belt to overcome a poor design.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:23 am

Lauren wrote:The curve on the bypass wire tool has to be just right as well as the flat spot on the tool's tip. Remember, this portion must be rotated until you hear the "click". Depth control is also important to maximize contact with the shackle spring side of the locking dog. With practice, you should be able to open each lock in under 10 seconds. Keep at it and use .047" piano wire. Bypassing these locks is just another notch in one's belt to overcome a poor design.

Thanks for this information. I think that my wire was too thin, however the 047 wire that I have does not fit in the keyway, so I may have to file it down a bit.
Previous

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock