FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need help identifying correct key blanks

<<

candado3

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Need help identifying correct key blanks

I have taken a liking to PKPT padlocks (there’s just something about them that appeals to me) and have picked up a couple of small ones without keys that I would like to get keyed. I need help in finding the correct key blanks for them so any help in identifying the blanks or replacement blanks would be appreciated.

The first is branded “HICKORY” which from Antique-Padlocks.com was made for: Kelley-How-Thomson Co. Mfg by: Sargent & Co.

and from another source:

“The high reputation of the house is built upon a solid foundation in the splendid line of hardware to which it has given the title of the “Hickory Brand,” and which is known as absolutely dependable from the lakes to the Coast. The greatest care has been exercised in applying the house brand only to products that would stand up under any test that they might be subjected to, and this, together with the fact that prices could be made that were reduced by reason of the elimination of a considerable part of the cost of transportation and handling, has created an immense and growing demand for this brand.”

The HICKORY padlock is 1.64” wide, 0.62” thick and the body is 1.24” high and the total height including the shackle is 2.35”
The plug is 0.40” diameter and the keyway is 0.305” long

The second is a brass Yale padlock which is 1.2” wide, .51” thick and the body is 1.13” tall and the total height including the shackle is 1.70”
The plug is .40” diameter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: Need help identifying correct key blanks

The first one is Y52/Y6 depending on length
The second one looks like S4 would fit
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Candado3, these are some nice padlocks! I tried to look up the Yale code and had no luck, I have some old books at home I'll give them a peek later on. The key blanks should be Ilco 997X for the Yale, and Ilco 1010B for the Sargent. The Yale is really common, the Sargent not so much. If you have trouble finding that Sargent check with Jeff Moss right here, he is the resident Sargent guy. He will steer you in the right direction. Good luck! *Edit: Jeff, it is only a .4" plug. Are you sure about a full size blank? I'm not that familiar so I'm not sure.*
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I did not realize the plug was smaller - 1010B/S10 is probably right in that case.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

candado3

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks for responding with the key identifications.
I will now go about getting blanks and trying to make new keys for these locks but it may take some time.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock