FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Finding lock values?

<<

ith

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 am

Finding lock values?

Hey guys - I have some locks that I would like to try to get a value on. I have quite a few NOS key in knob cylinders that are 0 bitted with keys from several different manufactures (Corbin, Falcon, Yale, Sargent, and Russwin). They have their tailpiece assemblies and everything. I just don't know where to really start on seeing what they are worth really.

Anyone have any resources I can use to start looking for values?

Thanks!
Ith
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 am

Re: Finding lock values?

You could get the list prices from the manufacturers' price books.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

ith

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:08 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:You could get the list prices from the manufacturers' price books.

I think they are all older - 20+ years old. I will get some good pictures posted when I get home tonight. That would be some help maybe. :)

Thanks!
<<

Deadlock

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:45 am

The 'bay, where else?

NOS is great, but does the 0 bitting make them more or less valuable? And who to? Genuine question, I really don't know.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:12 pm

0 bitted just means you have to rekey them to a working key. So it's a bit more work than if it was KA or KD from the factory.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Deadlock wrote:The 'bay, where else?

NOS is great, but does the 0 bitting make them more or less valuable? And who to? Genuine question, I really don't know.

I agree with Deadlock. They best way to determine value is find out what they are actually selling for. And there is just about one of EVERYTHING bought and sold on ebay every day haha. That's normally what I go by if I'm buying or selling anything I will look up ended auctions for the item I'm trying to determine the value of and use that as my guide:D but honestly all those locks you mentioned aren't worth anything and if you want you can send them to me and I can properly dispose of them for you....I guess. Hahaha. Just kidding;D
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:53 am

Well how about a lock rare enough that I havent seen on ebay? What do I do now? :D
<<

Deadlock

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:15 am

Naturally you would put it up for auction on here, paying shipping yourself and donating all the money to the site.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:51 am

aaa yes, duh, how did I not think of this... naturally :)

But all seriousness, I knew there are a few books out that value locks which are on my wish list. I also contacted the guy who owns antique-padlock.com but no response from him. I didnt just ask him for prices but I also offered to send him good quality pics to update his site which was the surpsing part that I didnt hear from him.
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Well how about a lock rare enough that I havent seen on ebay? What do I do now? :D

If you have a lock that has not been sold on ebay that either makes it the rarest lock ever and then it would be priceless ooor it is completely worthless. Hahaha haha. I have a lock that not only have I never seen sold anywhere but I have never seen another one like it ever on the entire internet. But I think we could all guess which catagory it falls under hahaha hah
<<

Deadlock

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:42 pm

It must be such a niche market though. It's not like locks have become commodities like classic cars and bikes are now. They're not an investment. At least, not yet...

It's the same old story, how much does somebody want it, and how much are they willing to pay you for it? It must be very rare to find a lock that has historical value - a story behind it - and the provenance to prove it. That might give it some value in the wider world. As it is though, to the vast majority, it's just an old lock. Interesting to see, now doubt, but not something they're going to pay much more than a buck or two to own.

Sure, a collector, who really wants it might pay you a hundred dollars for it, you just have to wait for them to come along. That might take some time.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:45 pm

What lock is it? There are locks that are rarely found on eBay.com, but you can find on eBay.fr, eBay.pl, eBay.co.UK.....

There is likely to be someone here who has seen one for sale.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

very good points gents. Gordon thanks for the hit because I havent even thought of venturing into the other worlds of ebay lol. Will have to give it a try. As for the lock I am talking about, its a NJ RR lock but the maker is climax.There are some letters before the word climax and something after but climax I have seen before so it stuck. Its a push lever key like a pancake except its not a pancake. Here is a link to a picture of it on antique-padlocks.com http://www.antique-padlocks.com/show_picture.htm except mine has a working key (not original I think) and mine is in much much better condition.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock