FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Vintage lock repairs

<<

ith

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Vintage lock repairs

Hey guys - I have recently been working on some older locks - a Yale 850 and a Yale 840. I have taken both locks from incomplete, non-working locks into fully functioning locks again using donated original parts or custom-made parts. I have really enjoyed the whole process and have created a few tools I have used in making a few parts. Needless to say, I cannot go out and buy all the old locks I want to restore without having my wife punish me (and not in a good way), so I am posting here.

If you have an old lock that isn't working, hit me up - we can talk and hopefully it is something I can take on.

Once the current lock I restored\repaired reaches the original owner again, I will post the images and video I have of the work I did (I can't steal someones thunder like that - getting an old lock working again is great, so he should be the one to unveil it, IMO).

Currently I would love to work on more vintage Yale 8X0 series locks, but am open to anything.

Thanks all!
Ith
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Re: Vintage lock repairs

Any pictures of what work you have already done, more specifically the locks.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:24 pm

he has done some work for me - once I get the lock (this week) I will post a video.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

ith

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:14 am

Papa Gleb wrote:Any pictures of what work you have already done, more specifically the locks.

Here http://imgur.com/a/71bBI is an album of a temp shackle made for an 850 from Aluminum stock.

JeffMoss had a vintage Yale 840 that had everything but a shackle. I hand made a solid brass shackle as a replacement for him. Here is a step by step of the that work:
http://imgur.com/a/stna7

Jeff had it in has last video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ASmGnWHHOA

I will be posting a video that has the complete re-assembly of his lock once I get it patched together (had to film it in a few stages. :)

This is the second vintage Yale I have been able to get back into working order using original or homemade parts. I stick to same material if possible, and in this case I went with brass since it looks good, it was an option for the lock originally (brass or hardened steel), and I don't have the tools to work with steel (yet *grin*). I have not had an opportunity to work on anything else as of yet, but I LOVE those old Yale 8X0 series locks. I am willing to try to make any parts needed though as long as I have the means to create what is needed. I even built the tool I used to cold bend the brass for the shackle.

Thanks!
Ith
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:08 am

amazing work mate!!! now that i think about it, I do have a lock that needs new shackle. PM coming soon.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Very nice! Don't think I would even attempt to recreate a shackle, lol. Very finicky work I'd imagine.
I was thinking the same thing about that patina! - shame you were forced to file some of it down.

Can't wait to see more!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:40 am

I didn't think it was possible to bend an aluminium rod that way. Great job on both the shackles.
Now I'm considering to make a couple for two american locks that I got with cut shackles...

Cheers :)

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock