FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Massive Vintage Combination Padlock

<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:30 pm

Massive Vintage Combination Padlock

Hey guys,

In my latest video I show off this really awesome and odd combination padlock which I was able to eventually crack with mostly luck.

The one thing I cant seem to figure out is why it has 2 number lines. One is surrounding the dial and one is on the dial. The one on the dial itself makes sense, but I just have no idea why the one surrounding the dial is needed.

You think it's just to throw people off?

You guys ever see a combo lock like this before?

PHOTO:

VIDEO:

Thanks!
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Massive Vintage Combination Padlock

If you want to get rid of that one let me know :lol: Very cool find.

What is the hole in the side for? Can anything be seen or does the shackle block it? Maybe it is to show which way the padlock has to be held to open it. The reason that it opens one way and not the other is because the locking dog/latch is not spring loaded or the spring broke so gravity has to move it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Riyame wrote:If you want to get rid of that one let me know :lol: Very cool find.

What is the hole in the side for? Can anything be seen or does the shackle block it? Maybe it is to show which way the padlock has to be held to open it. The reason that it opens one way and not the other is because the locking dog/latch is not spring loaded or the spring broke so gravity has to move it.

Darn, you beat me to the offer to accept the burden of ownership of this lock. Oh well, sure it will either stay with Marduk or will find a loving home.

Gordon

P.S. - It should come to me. Riy's stuff is just too nice, and the lock would feel like an outcast, ostracized by the other locks for not being of the correct, high society breeding. :twisted:
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:40 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
Riyame wrote:If you want to get rid of that one let me know :lol: Very cool find.

Darn, you beat me to the offer to accept the burden of ownership of this lock. Oh well, sure it will either stay with Marduk or will find a loving home.

Gordon

P.S. - It should come to me. Riy's stuff is just too nice, and the lock would feel like an outcast, ostracized by the other locks for not being of the correct, high society breeding. :twisted:

Haha Gordon that's some funny shit.

And yeah that is a curiosity regarding the dual numbers. def. a cool find Marduk.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Looking at the shape of the center of the dial, with the two slots on each side, along with how hard it is to turn. It makes me think there was a tool of some sort that the person used that fit into the center of the dial, and it had two parts that fit into the slots, to make it easier to turn.

This is entirely conjecture. Do you see any wear that may back up or refute the theory? You can always send it to me for examination. ;)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks guys!

This bad-boy is so damn cool I am not sure I can let it go just yet. As some of you may know I love giant locks and this is now sitting neatly next to my giant PTK! If I plan to sell it in the future I will let you guys know.

Gordon- I agree with you that there may be a tool that would fit inside that groove to make it easier to turn. On a side note, I know you would def give this lock the love and attention it deserves!

Some more info:

The shackle doesn't have a locking dog where you would normally find one, the shackle is controlled on the side with the hole somewhere near the bottom. I looked in the hole on the side but can't see anything other than just the shackle. I am really curious what it looks like inside.
<<

HT4

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Marduk28 wrote:The one thing I cant seem to figure out is why it has 2 number lines. One is surrounding the dial and one is on the dial. The one on the dial itself makes sense, but I just have no idea why the one surrounding the dial is needed.

You think it's just to throw people off?

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the two rows, perhaps its a primitive version of two man access. Just guessing. You give each person the inner on one side and the outer on the other. That way, neither person has the code to open even half the lock until they meet up. Of course, that only works once, unless there's a way to change the combination. Speaking of which, the huge hole in the side?
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock