FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:37 am

Re: My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

So I used a drill bit in the vice to be sure the key was round and centered on its hole. Made a few unsatisfying tries with the file, that seemed not to work very well because it was not easy to file and rotate at the same time.
As I said, I don't have a drill press, so I dug out the dremel, went all savage and held it by hand. Switched it on, put the tip against a point and then rotated the key by hand. Repeated a bit higher a few times and the tip was round and centered for sure.
I have to admit that, even if I tried to keep the tool still, some vibration and small movement may have occurred. In fact I had to smooth out the surface with the flat file. Nevertheless, I was sure the key was well round and uniform enough for the precision I need to open this lock.

Even if it's still a bit too long, it's nice to see that it enters the keyhole now. I smoked the tip to get the sliders position and am ready for the next steps: establishing the tip length so the flag enter completely the keyway and cut the bittings on the tip.

Cheers :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 am

femurat wrote:Image

So I used a drill bit in the vice to be sure the key was round and centered on its hole. Made a few unsatisfying tries with the file, that seemed not to work very well because it was not easy to file and rotate at the same time.
As I said, I don't have a drill press, so I dug out the dremel, went all savage and held it by hand. Switched it on, put the tip against a point and then rotated the key by hand. Repeated a bit higher a few times and the tip was round and centered for sure.
I have to admit that, even if I tried to keep the tool still, some vibration and small movement may have occurred. In fact I had to smooth out the surface with the flat file. Nevertheless, I was sure the key was well round and uniform enough for the precision I need to open this lock.

Even if it's still a bit too long, it's nice to see that it enters the keyhole now. I smoked the tip to get the sliders position and am ready for the next steps: establishing the tip length so the flag enter completely the keyway and cut the bittings on the tip.

Drool! Your girlfriend is quite lucky to have you doing all this work for her.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:45 am

Well, to be honest, I think I'm enjoying doing it much more than she will enjoy the present.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:29 am

What a great feeling when the key finally turns!
I wish I went slower with the dremel but couldn't help the urge to finish this key. I still have some marks left, and the hole is not perfectly centered. I'm quite happy anyway. I think I'll keep this as spare key and carefully copy the cuts on the 3D printed one when it arrives.

I hope to start building the box this weekend. I also need to chose the color and material for the inner lining. I'm thinking about Alcantara (Ultrasuede).

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:17 am

I've cut the slot for the lock with a chisel and then made the two big holes with the drill. It still need to be sanded, but after two hours I was tired and hungry. Will refine and glue it next time I have a free hour or two. I need to buy and cut another piece of wood for the cover. I also need some matching screws.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:47 am

So I was cutting the two slots for the hinges and the first one was looking good. Then while I was finishing the second one I probably hit the chisel a bit harder than I should have, because the wood split badly. I was frustrated and left it alone. I may try to glue it back. I'm not so willing to cut another back panel from scratch.

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:55 am

Making good progress. That last piece will glue up fine, you just need to get it well coated and clamped up.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:13 am

I tried to glue the piece back in place so I lifted it slightly and put some glue in the crack. Then put a piece of plastic around it and clamped between two other pieces to keep it straight. Then I added another clamp on top (not pictured) and let it dry overnight.

This morning I took the clamps off and, to my surprise, it looks like new! I just need to clean the glue that squeezed out.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:47 am

I sanded and glued the box, then mounted the lock and the hinges and strike to the lid. The box is starting to assume its final form.
Took it apart again and gave it the first coat of paint. It'll look like light walnut wood once finished.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:30 am

The 3D printed key arrived yesterday. This morning I was so excited I woke up at 5 so I could file the bittings without my girlfriend noticing.
First of all I smoothed the hole on the tip by hand: I rotated a drill bit with my fingers against the hole a few times. This should help centering the key.
I carefully filed the slots with the needle file, copying the steel key, but left them a bit shallow. Then I finished them one by one while checking the key every few strokes. Now the key works very smoothly.

Now I need to find a place that can chrome it to protect it properly.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:25 am

While the key is waiting to be chromed I can continue to work on the box.
I was looking for alcantara but found a reasonably priced piece of true leather so I bought it. I cut a big cross with the sides long as the inner part of the box. Covered the box with glue, using a spatula to make it flat and uniform, and then carefully placed the leather inside. At the corners it overlaps a little.
I put a piece of cardboard on the bottom and used something heavy I had handy to keep it down.
Then I placed some thin plywood pieces to keep the leather flat on the sides and, as I usually do with wood, clamped it well. Dunno if this is the proper technique to glue leather and wood, but looks like it worked.
Now I need to cut the excess with a sharp knife.

<<

Neilau

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:32 am

Nice job.

Looking at the cut out for the lock on the inside of the draw, I thought you might be interested in one of these.

http://www.banggood.com/Drill-Carving-Rotary-Positioner-Locator-For-Dremel-Rotary-Tools-p-971078.html

Its a little plunge router accessory for a Dremel tool, for about $2.50.

I just got one to rout out slots in wooden handles for narrow matel stock like wiper blades etc.

I haven't tried it out yet but it looks OK and Should do the job.

Just thought you might (and other dremel users) might be interested.

Edit.

Complete list of their Dremel accessories here.

http://www.banggood.com/search/dremel-tool-accessory.html
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 am

Here is the finished box. I had some alignment issues but it's fixed now. I was told it's not nice to give an empty box as a present, so I got a bracelet to go with it.
I'm so proud of my chromed key :mrgreen:

I hope she appreciate it.

Neilau, that looks a useful tool, I ordered one. Thanks for the suggestion.

<<

Neilau

Post Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 am

That's one BEAUTIFUL box and key. Well done. :hbg:

I'm sure that it will be greatly appreciated.

Re: the tool, My pleasure.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
Previous

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock