FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:15 am

My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

I've always wanted a BRAMAH but never had an excuse to buy one.
Now I'm thinking to build a small wooden jewelry box for my girlfriend, and give her its key to wear as a necklace.
So I saw this lock for sale on a popular UK auctions site, and bought it.

After a few weeks I got it and was very excited. The lock is missing the key so I need one. First of all I disassembled it and took some pictures and measurements. The keyhole is 5 mm in diameter, the key stem may be long 3 mm, the hole in the key stem should be 2 mm in diameter. All the 4 sliders are working, on the first one there's a bit of wear where it contacts the key. The spring is nice and strong. I think finding a key is quite difficult, so I need to make one. I just need some brass, a couple needle files and some time. Hope to update the thread soon.

Any info about the lock age and model?

Cheers :)
Last edited by femurat on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 am

Re: My First BRAMAH

Unfortunately I believe this is a knockoff.

I have a couple that have the same "Bramah Secure" logo and the diamond logo with the stamp in it, even the same amount of sliders. My real Bramah was of much higher quality and had many sliders even though it was a small box lock.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:24 am

That would be a shame! I've paid good money for it and already left a positive feedback.
Well, I think I'll still make the key and box, even if it's a reproduction.

Thanks for the head up
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:44 am

Yea, it is quite unfortunate. I would try messaging the seller about it anyways since it is not a legit Bramah.

Here is a picture of one of my fake ones, pretty much the same.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:06 am

Re: My First BRAMAH-ish Lock

Well, I was told by three different people that this is a Bramah replica! :cry:

Title edited.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:37 am

Here is the first prototype key I made yesterday evening. I cut a piece of brass and soldered to a tube and sanded the solder excess on the sides. I filed the flag down to size and tested with the disassembled lock. Then filed the four slots in the tube.
The key works but needs some tinkering. I think I have to check which slot needs a couple file strokes to work smoothly.
Once the prototype works flawlessly I'll make one with a thicker tube: this one is half a mm thick, I need one at least 4 times thicker. I may end up drilling a 2 mm hole just on the tip of a rod.

Sorry for the blurry pictures but I have to use the old phone since the new one is broken.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:38 am

The brass key I made worked, but needed to be rotated back and forth sometimes because one groove was off a little. While I was trying to fine tune it, the key flag broke.
Now it works like a charm, but I have to keep it pushed in. Maybe the flag I made needed to be filed a hair on the key-tip side.

I decided to make it out of steel and, to make it stronger, I made a slot to accommodate the flag before soldering it. I first tried to use a brass rod as solder but the flame I have was not able to melt it.
It was able to burs the steel since it changed color.
Then I tried to use stain but I couldn't find borax. I tried without it, but the melted solder went everywhere except the hole I aimed for.

Looks like soldering is not my top skill. I'm a bit disappointed.
I'll look for a standard key and file it to size, at least I'm quite good at filing.

<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Looks like your using soft (lead) solder ?

You need to use Silver solder (or hard brazing) to get any strength to the finished part. That requires much greater heat etc.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:31 am

I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion oldlock. I may end up using an arc welder.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks for the idea about silver soldering. I've talked to a local expert that concur about silver soldering being my best option. I'll look into that eventually.

Following a suggestion by FrenchKey, I've made a 3D model of the key blank with my PC and sent it to be printed in brass. It's a bit less than 50 euro to get the key printed and shipped to me. I should get it next month. Once I get the key blank I'll make the cuts and hopefully it will work smoothly. Now I can concentrate on the box design.

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:10 am

A MAPP gas torch will get the work hot enough to braze. I sometimes have to make jigs to hold the work though because brazing requires 4 hands otherwise!

I am brazing a big-ass church key at the moment actually. It's a lot harder than it looks, make sure the parts are completely up to temperature before going near it with the braze, that's my best tip.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:48 am

Hey huxley, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind next time I have to braze, solder or silver solder something. For now I give up. I think I'll get a better result by filing.
PS: I thought a church key was a bottle opener :mrgreen:

Today I got a gift a friend made me with a laser cutting machine. It's a flat blank he made based on my 3D model. I just need to round the edges and I may have a nice stainless steel blank. I'll keep you updated about my progress.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:06 am

I flattened the key tip and carefully drilled a 2,5 mm hole in it. I was thinking to make a gig to help me keep the key parallel to the grinder, or even better, a cutter on the drill.
Then I took out my flat file and started filing the sides round. I cut a slot in a wooden block to help me hold the key. I was almost done when my girlfriend came home and I had to stop and hide the key. I want this to be a surprise. I'll go on filing soon :twisted:

<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Looking really good so far femurat! kinda envious of a laser cutter that can do that thickness of metal.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:27 am

Thanks! He told me they cut up to 2 cm. It's an industrial machine and it was not easy for him to get me the blanks. I'm grateful he did :-)
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock