FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dewalt Mobile Lock

<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Dewalt Mobile Lock

http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/ a musician friend was talking about getting one of these. Anyone been following these? Your thoughts?
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 am

Re: Dewalt Mobile Lock

Well, that's one way to make sure people know something valuable is inside, and that there is at least one (highly visible) security countermeasure on board, LOL! I kid, but its a real concern. My day job is at a global cargo security company, we do loss prevention and recovery for high value cargo globally (think covert GPS tracking and real time driver compliance monitoring) as well as supply chain visibility. We have proprietary devices that detect vibration, inferred motion, temperature and even lux (light) levels to determine if the doors were opened without authorization. The battle is always between security vs obscurity. We chose covert trackers because organized freight thieves know to look for indicators of high value cargo such as kingpin locks, 5th wheel locks, high security trailer seals, etc (as an Intel Analyst, I know their methods well). I have read here many times things to the effect of "the best door lock does nothing to secure your window" and "if they want in, they will likely get in" or "locks keep honest people honest". With something like this, I am imagining a short tow behind trailer full of gig equipment, I would go with a more mundane appearing yet heavy duty padlock (in the shackle, most street level criminals wont attempt to pick anything other than a master lock, and probably not even then) to avoid drawing attention. If this is in a place where a thief is thinking about stealing it, the high security fancy pants GPS lock will be an indicator of value and a priority to remove/neutralize (which is easier than you might think). I think that that would cement my decision (were I a more nefarious type), especially if there are multiple targets of comparable difficulty to abscond with, if one of the potential targets had indicators of high value items inside. Granted, you likely wont be dealing with the same level of criminal for these thefts as the transnational cargo crime syndicates I study every day, but a lot of the principles of security still apply.

Just my 2 cents.
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:34 am

O!! Also, avoid the habit of plastering the trailer with band/venue stickers, that is one way to be SURE that everyone knows there are instruments and amps, possibly even a PA system in there... Seen many more heavily graffittied/stickered band trailers stolen than plain/old/dirty trailers.

:hbg: :hbg:
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:59 pm

I would recommend not to have the unit be visiblly installed. A blow with a hammer or dropping it in a faraday pouch and it's rendered useless.
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

eph778

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:32 pm

freek007 wrote:Well, that's one way to make sure people know something valuable is inside, and that there is at least one (highly visible) security countermeasure on board, LOL! I kid, but its a real concern. My day job is at a global cargo security company, we do loss prevention and recovery for high value cargo globally (think covert GPS tracking and real time driver compliance monitoring) as well as supply chain visibility. We have proprietary devices that detect vibration, inferred motion, temperature and even lux (light) levels to determine if the doors were opened without authorization. The battle is always between security vs obscurity. We chose covert trackers because organized freight thieves know to look for indicators of high value cargo such as kingpin locks, 5th wheel locks, high security trailer seals, etc (as an Intel Analyst, I know their methods well). I have read here many times things to the effect of "the best door lock does nothing to secure your window" and "if they want in, they will likely get in" or "locks keep honest people honest". With something like this, I am imagining a short tow behind trailer full of gig equipment, I would go with a more mundane appearing yet heavy duty padlock (in the shackle, most street level criminals wont attempt to pick anything other than a master lock, and probably not even then) to avoid drawing attention. If this is in a place where a thief is thinking about stealing it, the high security fancy pants GPS lock will be an indicator of value and a priority to remove/neutralize (which is easier than you might think). I think that that would cement my decision (were I a more nefarious type), especially if there are multiple targets of comparable difficulty to abscond with, if one of the potential targets had indicators of high value items inside. Granted, you likely wont be dealing with the same level of criminal for these thefts as the transnational cargo crime syndicates I study every day, but a lot of the principles of security still apply.

Just my 2 cents.

Great info. Neat job you have....
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Excellent info indeed. I was thinking a covert GPS unit would be a great idea for those expensive high dollar targets. For the price of the lock and the monthly fees there are much better options. I told my buddy for the price think Abloy. If they want in they will get in. Delay as long as possible so the risk of getting caught isn't worth it, or an easier target is found. I'll tell him to take all those damn stickers off lol!
<<

freek007

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Covert (embedded in the trailer) is a good option for recovery, but its an expensive one for an insurance policy that may not pay out. We have a 24/7/365 control center that monitors live locations and planned routes along with driver check ins for stops and starts, and they have direct lines to law enforcement nationwide and a round the clock on call team of security experts who will initiate a bridge call with carrier dispatch, driver, cargo owner and law enforcement. He, likely, will not, but we handle multi million dollar trailer loads...

BUT - some of the same security precautions still apply, park in a well lit area, back the doors up to something that prevents it from being opened (light post, wall, fence) to see if whats inside is worth stealing, try to park in view of security cameras, pay extra for guarded/fenced/restricted access parking if available, lock the hitch, chain the wheels (on the curb side so the added security isnt too obvious)

As for my job... It can be interesting (google: "Canadian Maple Syrup Heist" / "Maple Syrup Cartel" - or "enfield ct pharmaceutical theft")! But sadly, not always as sexy as it sounds... It makes for good party conversations though, when I can distill 5 years of data into 5 or 6 entertaining 10 min stories... they get longer if I've been drinking...

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock