FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My old Yale 853 padlock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:01 am

My old Yale 853 padlock

The story of this lock for me starts when I bought it on a street market in Sri Lanka. Then I picked it open and tried to make a key for it. I had to disassemble it and finally I got a working "key". Here are some pictures of the internals for your curiosity. Enjoy!

This is the padlock picked open with homemade wrench and pick.

Once the padlock was open it was possible to remove two rivets and disassemble it.
I drilled a 5 mm hole in a piece of wood to allow the rivet to exit and laid it on the press, then put the padlock with one rivet centered on it.
I used a broken 2,5 mm drill bit to push out the rivet, a hammer on top of it and another piece of wood to protect the press.
This is not the most professional way to remove rivets, but I work with what I have.
I carefully pushed one rivet out and then proceeded with the other one. The padlock was now disassembled :mrgreen:
When I opened it the lever springs jumped out but fortunately they can't fly away.
Note: To avoid damaging them is very important to carefully push them toward the center while slowly pushing the core inside the outer shell.

Here are some pictures of the core viewed from different angles.

I've pushed the levers out to see them better.

The relative positions, locked and unlocked.

And then took a soft brush and cleaned it a little.

You can barely see the 853 embossed in the core, I think it's the model number, may be 858 also, correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the outer shell viewed from the bottom.

The actuator /bolt and shackle opener.

The padlock ready to be reassembled and it's "key".

Reassembled without the rivets to be sure my key works before driving the rivets back in.

I've pushed the rivets almost back in, but left out a couple mm to allow an easy disassemble in case someone want to see something that I haven't showed.

Cheers :)
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:27 am

Re: My old Yale 853 padlock

Super write up mate. I always thought these were 3 levers. I have one that I briefly played with but was worried to over turn the levers and possibly break something but now I see that isnt possible. Thanks again.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:51 am

:agree: well worth the time on this topic - at first I thought you could just pull this free without picking

but soon realised - the spring blocking & locking mechanism sits under a rebated edge - so will not allow for this

nice work - thanks
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 am

I have never taken one apart so is interesting to see the D shaped holes in the levers, locking bolt with fence, and plunger. Nice job and pictures. I found it very easy to impression keys for these. Done many doesn't take long. The trick is pick it open first this locks the levers to the proper position then they can't move anymore. Then impression it if done right once the key turns your done. Then turn the key back to locked position. Take something push the spring loaded plunger that pops the shackle open down to release the levers back to lock position turn the key to see that it pulls the locking bolt back you can safely lock the shackle and try the key. Copy the cuts on both sides of the key your finished. Anyway that is how it works for me.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Excellent teardown. Gives me a much better understanding of how these work. Originally, I'd looked up old catalog drawings, which were helpful, but to see the lock disassembled, I can now fully visualize what's going on in these padlocks. Thanks!
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:40 am

Thanks for the compliments guys. I was unsure about disassembling this lock but followed Lauren suggestion and did it :-)

MrWizard, that's what I tried to do, but failed. I got a key with the first and last lever at the correct position but filed too much the second and third one. Maybe I got the markings wrong or simply filed more than I should have.

Cheers :)
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 am

femurat

I forgot to say I always use soft nickel silver blanks they leave great marks very easy and less chance to damage the levers. Takes a little practice to know what is a mark and what is just wear from turning it against a lever that is already to the proper level. No smoking the blanks needed plus hard to keep them lite. :pimpmofo:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock