FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cool Coin Bank

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:46 pm

Cool Coin Bank

A childhood friend of my wife told her she had a handmade coin bank, but lost the key years ago. She said local locksmiths could not help her. My wife told her to send it down when her parents came down for the summer. It has now arrived.

New(er) post office box door/lock. It is 35 years old, and was a post office door from when they stopped making combination locks, but had not redesigned the door without the combination lock letters.

Reverse Yale keyway, and I had a few five pin blanks.

Well, needed to figure out how many pins, so I stuck a flashlight in front, shining light through the window, and looked into the keyway.

:shock:

OK, try the blank.

Made in 1980

And no pins in the core.

So, without much difficulty, now the bank is once again functional. It will go back to its owner soon. :mrgreen:

Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Cool Coin Bank

That's great. the locksmiths missed and easy service charge there. Are you going to pin it up?
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 pm

That is up to my wife's friend.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:15 pm

very nice bank. here are pics of the 1961 combination version of your key op door.
dougs garage 046.jpg
dougs garage 047.jpg
dougs garage 048.jpg
dougs garage 049.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Nice, bitbuster. :)

Here is my 1960 combination version. Took the picture a month ago at Homer, Alaska. (Locks need vacations, too!)

Gordon
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:35 am

I can understand why locksmith(s) could not help her, I too have turned down a few jobs to make/impression keys for rare antique items because the chance of braking them far out weighed the reward.

Very nice pictures btw.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 am

Very cool!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Locks+Picks_Happy

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 am

Great call with that flashlight. I have to say my frist thought with that illuminated key way was it looks like it doesn't have any pins. But my second thought was if it was that easy a locksmith could have definitely done this job. Sometimes you just need to use Occam's razor. Great innovative problem solving.

Could you have turned the keyway with any piece of metal, or was it necessary to use a blank?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:30 pm

Locks+Picks_Happy wrote:Great call with that flashlight. I have to say my frist thought with that illuminated key way was it looks like it doesn't have any pins. But my second thought was if it was that easy a locksmith could have definitely done this job. Sometimes you just need to use Occam's razor. Great innovative problem solving.

Could you have turned the keyway with any piece of metal, or was it necessary to use a blank?

Any piece of metal would turn it, though it is under some spring tension.

Gordon
<<

iiFlynRyan

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:22 pm

lol very cool little bank

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock