FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Antique Miller 6 Lever Padlock Saved! PICTURE HEAVY

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Antique Miller 6 Lever Padlock Saved! PICTURE HEAVY

Antique Miller 6 levers Double Bitted Padlock

I won an ebay lot for under $20 shipped. When the box arrived, the Miller 6 lever stood out like a sore thumb. After cleaning the lock free of the gunk and dirt, it was apparent that all of the springs were broken/damages as the lock would open just by shacking it side to side (Just for the record, I never aimed to remove the patina. I have now improved my rust removing techniques which have no effect on the beautiful patina).

I used a Dremel with a HSS cutter to grind down the sides of the rivets just enough to clear the hole so that I can reuse the same rivets. Keep in mind that the Dremel HSS cutter has cutting blades on the sides and on the bottom which cut into the body cover. I filed that bottom part of the cutter so that issue was resolved but you can see which rivet was the first and which was the last. I popped the body cover open and all of the broken springs were confirmed and now the fun begins.

Buying new springs is probably not even possible so I saved myself the time from search. After speaking to Lauren, he advised that he uses springs from other similar locks however this wasn’t an option for me as I did not have any other spare locks with springs similar to these. After looking at them closer, they are nothing more than flat piece of spring steel bent in 5 places so I decided to make my own.

I collected the broken spring piece I had and put together a complete spring for comparison. Taking the smallest wind shield wiper inserts, I measured and marked them for the right thickness and width and cut them to estimated lengths. I then drew up a little template as to where the bend points should be and marked each bend point on the new to be springs. Enough playing around, so I clamped the first one in my vise and started to bend using a bigger piece of metal to make sure I would get a good bend. I first bent the middle to also server as my guide point making sure each other bent was equal in length. Repeat to the other 2 and I was done.. almost.

They needed some last tweaks but they worked. I just made springs for a lock about 100 years old lol. For the shackle spring, I took a short cut and purchased a ready spring in the correct thickness which I bent into shape. The shackle spring required much more tweaking but at the end, it took works great. I assembled the padlock back together to make sure everything works and in fact it does. I did not crimp the rivets yet as I plan to make a key (or maybe a cut-away) for this lock but I am very happy with the end results and that I brought a dead old lock back to life and probably stronger then it originally was from the factory 

Hope you enjoy this and pictures for your viewing pleasures are below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Re: Antique Miller 6 Lever Padlock Saved! PICTURE HEAVY

Awesome work and thanks for sharing . Also great to see a beauty getting saved :)
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

HT4

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:31 pm

I've never seen the insides of a lock like that. Interesting, and nice work.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Very nice work, Gleb!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks gents. This was the first antique lock I have ever worked on so there was much to learn. I also learned how great vinegar is to removing rust and at the same time removes the beautiful aging patina. Is it even called patina if its on steel?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

great work!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock