FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco Protector Model 50

<<

HT4

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Medeco Protector Model 50

I came across these for what think was a good price recently, and thought I would share the find. If anyone has knowledge of these, including age and approx value, I would appreciate addition info. 4 of the 6 locks are in like new condition.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Mitchell s

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:59 am

Re: Medeco Protector Model 50

Hey there , I saw these on eBay a few days ago too, I probably would have bought them, but 15 pounds of locks sent to Australia would have doubled their cost. I'm glad a fellow enthusiast picked them up though.

I don't know a massive amount about them, only that they are a model that is now out of production and I believe have a bi axial core. You don't see them come up that often but they are around. Check out Macgng's collection thread if you want to see a real stash of Medeco padlocks :)

As for value they are only of any real value to collectors, as there are newer, more modern and more secure versions out there. I think those locks were a good price at $125 but given that the listing lasted 4 days before you snapped them up shows you the relative demand.

Nice score though, hopefully you can pick them all :D

*edit* check out this thread, a bunch of other members have posted their picks and there is also a video

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=8603
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:58 am

Looks like a Classic cylinder, at least from the pics in the other thread. Nice find!
Medeco now makes a Protector II padlock, http://www.medeco.com/en/site/medeco/Pr ... tId=915470
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

HT4

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:14 am

Mitchell s wrote:Hey there , I saw these on eBay a few days ago too, I probably would have bought them, but 15 pounds of locks sent to Australia would have doubled their cost. I'm glad a fellow enthusiast picked them up though.

I don't know a massive amount about them, only that they are a model that is now out of production and I believe have a bi axial core. You don't see them come up that often but they are around. Check out Macgng's collection thread if you want to see a real stash of Medeco padlocks :)

As for value they are only of any real value to collectors, as there are newer, more modern and more secure versions out there. I think those locks were a good price at $125 but given that the listing lasted 4 days before you snapped them up shows you the relative demand.

Nice score though, hopefully you can pick them all :D

*edit* check out this thread, a bunch of other members have posted their picks and there is also a video

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=8603

Thanks -- I came across this thread while doing regular Google searches on this lock. Between that and a YouTube video on disassembly, its about the only thing I could find on the internet about them. I wonder why the model numbers were so far off. In any case, they really didn't shed much light on age or value, which is what I was most interested in.

It may be that later versions have bi axial cores, but these appear to be original... I base that only on eyeballing the spacing of the key cuts. Of course, I don't know that much about Medecos, so I could be wrong.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock