FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Rear tension detainer pick larger than front tension pick

<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:37 am

Rear tension detainer pick larger than front tension pick

Was going to put this in Solomons post but seeing as that thread is fairly old, and not wanting to troll his thread I thought I'd better not put it there.

I notice the rear tension detainer pick is of larger dimension than the front tensioner pick. The actual tensioner part and the pick part is larger, won't fit into standard detainer padlock. Is this for a reason, such as rear tensioned detainer locks tend to be larger than most ordinary front tensioned detainer locks? Should I smooth those parts down to the same size as the front tension detainer pick? One can always remove metal but it's another thing to put that metal back on, I don't want to mess with it if these parts are meant to be larger.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 am

Re: Rear tension detainer pick larger than front tension pic

Well for starters which detainer picks are you using and which locks are you trying to pick with them?
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 am

Im definatly interested in the answers to Riyames questions and would love to see photos of the pick.

the tension tip should pick up the cylinder securely but the pick tip need not be large, it needs to pass from one disc to another and it does not take much to rotate disc's
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 am

The same pick that appears in Solomons thread in 'Disc Detainer Locks' I believe, the blue rear tensioner detainer pick manufactured by the million in China and sold for a small handful of dollars.

'Standard detainer padlock' -- i.e. El Cheapo, stock standard, purchasable from any bottom end of town hardware store, most locks of which are probably made in China, non high security, or basically no security at all, padlock. There are as many different names/brands stamped on the cheap detainer padlocks as there are detainer padlocks.

Neither the tension tip nor the pick fit the padlock keyway - too large. Should I shave any metal off this one to make it of similar dimension to the stock standard El Cheapo front tensioner detainer pick consisting of two screws which one applies tension to and as purchased from China for a similar handful of dollars or should I leave it alone if there are differing variations of keyway sizes in detainer padlocks? I don't want to reduce the size of this one if there are locks out there which have larger keyways which this pick is perhaps designed for.

I've already shaved and smoothed everything as mentioned so my El Cheapo front tensioner detainer pick consisting of two screws to which you apply tension and purchasable from China works fine.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Well, this video might help you. I dont know much about the blue rear tensioning one.

PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Yep, I've seen that video, and others, Thanks anyway. I believe Solomon has some I've watched as well, excellent videos I might add, but I don't recall anything being mentioned about the larger tip and pick on rear tension picks, that's the reason I asked the question. The tip and pick are considerably larger on the rear tension pick I've got and it won't fit in the keyway of the El Cheapo padlock I have. I just need to know if this pick needs to be trimmed to comparable size to the front tension pick, but I don't want to trim it down unless I know that's what needs to be done. As I mentioned earlier, one can remove metal easily enough but it's not so easy to put it back. I'll make some more enquiries. Thanks for the assistance.
<<

boggif

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I have filed my back tension tool that looks like this http://dx.com/p/disc-locks-pick-17628 to make it fit the lock. I had to work on all parts: tensioner, disc rotating tip and the shaft that was too wide as well.

If a tool does not fit in a lock, the only thing you can do is to make it smaller (or get a different tool).
<<

BOLT

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:07 pm

you can buy one from dhgate.I just got one. need to file it to fit
<<

mbpick34

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Yup modification is necessary and fun btw.

<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 am

@Boggif...Yeah, that's the one. It had been suggested to me that it may be a dedicated pick but fairly sure it isn't due to these being so common. I have since trimmed it down.

@Bolt...I have just finished a two month bun fight with DHgate. The Seller de-registered a couple of days after I put my order in, after many emails DHgate said they had paid the seller already, I told them they were liars and are keeping my money in their own bank account and to cough up with my refund, I eventually received my refund. I have since found another site which is much more informative and user friendly on screen. Viewer can follow the days count down for seller to post and if not posted in required time frame the sale is automatically cancelled, viewer can also follow the countdown of days before submitting a dispute if necessary. Made good on one purchase thus far, just waiting for another to arrive and I'll be well pleased. To be fair with DHgate though, I failed to follow my own rules regarding online purchasing - and almost paid the price for doing so, I must constantly remind myself NOT to deviate from my rules <g>.

@mbpick...What's with that little groove in the tip? Is that how it came or is that a slight modification you added? Interested and curious <g>.
<<

mbpick34

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:44 am

@AULockpicker Yeah another modification it gives better control when applying tension. There are grooves on both sides.

Return to Disc Detainer Locks