FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Having a problem with my medeco classic deadbolt.

<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Having a problem with my medeco classic deadbolt.

What’s up guys. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a couple things. My front door dead bolt has started acting up on me. On the outside cylinder the key wont throw the deadbolt anymore (this just happened), it will retract the deadbolt nice and smooth if I use the inside cylinder to through the bolt. What in the heck would cause that?

My other problem...and it may have something to do with my Friday afternoon beers.. is that I cant get the dam clip that holds the brass trim plate that covers the screws to come off. The little bastard (clip) is in there pretty tight. Is there a good way to pop that out without jacking up my lock?

Thanks for any help lol.
What man has done, man can do.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Having a problem with my medeco classic deadbolt.

The key might be acting up cos the lock is worn if it's old enough. I've worked on Medeco Biaxials that's been in use so long that the locks tends to stick and not work properly. I'm not familiar with how to disassemble it without looking at it though. Do you know what model the lock is?
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Kezo wrote:The key might be acting up cos the lock is worn if it's old enough. I've worked on Medeco Biaxials that's been in use so long that the locks tends to stick and not work properly. I'm not familiar with how to disassemble it without looking at it though. Do you know what model the lock is?

No the lock is pretty new, maybe 6 months? And its the classic version of the medeco maxum, double cylinder.
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Well I think I got it fixed. Not sure what went wrong with it, but I pulled the cylinder out and cleaned off the side bar and put it back together and now it works fine.

Man what a cool lock. I really need to get one just to play around with. I didn’t look at the top pins but the key pins were all serrated. :hbg:
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Glad it's working. Sorry I couldn't help further. I was looking online for a technical manual but couldn't find any in the time I had. What's the removal process for this lock?
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey thanks for trying. The removal for this deadbolt was pretty easy once I got the decorative piece off that covers the two screws. It was pretty easy to get the retaining clip off once I found my set of spring hooks lol. But yeah removal was like a basic dead bolt once the screws were accessible.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10 pm

sometimes that tail piece doesnt mate too well after the door has swelled or the cylinder has adjusted. retighten the screws next time or take it apart and put it back on. I had one assembled for a while and when a cylinder was moved marginally, it wouldnt throw the bolt
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:29 pm

When I separated the halves of the dead bolt (inside/outside cylinders) I tested the outside cylinder and it still wouldn’t turn to the left(the direction to throw the bolt) but it would turn fine to the right. I actually banged on the door hard a few times this morning before I got it taken apart and it started working again for a bit. It seemed like something was screwing with the side bar?

I think part of the problem is that the door wants to be pulled shut for the bolt to throw smoothly. If you just close the door and let it rest and try to throw the bolt, it binds a little. I had a talk with the wife to try and take a little care when locking the door. lol you can imagine how that went over.

Return to HELP!!!!!