FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Have I wrecked this lock?

<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Have I wrecked this lock?

So I took this Yale lock apart so I could load just one or two pins at the front to help me get a feel for binding pins.
It's my first real time dismantling a lock so I loads a pin and spring into the first chamber of the `bible`, a pin into the first chamber of the plug, insert plug at angle and key... all good. Then I proceed to drop the dam thing and the plug and key are halfway out!

The top pin and spring seems to have fallen into one of the empty pin holes (looks like no 2) The key has come out leaving the pin in the 4th slot... I think? If it's even reaching the key?

Soooo` have I wrecked it or does someone know a way to get the key/plug out ? If all else fails I was thinking of taking a lot of metal off the top exposing the holes in the top allowing me to get the trapped pin out as well. At least that will give me top access and make it easier to re-pin it in future.

Did that make any sense? here's some pics!
<<

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Re: Have I wrecked this lock?

Ok man, i've been chatting with romstar about it and this should solve your problem:

Since you have the rear of the lock disasmenbled, you can use a shim between the plug and the cylinder.

Turn the lock upside down so the bible is pointing toward the floor.

Insert the shim between the plug and cylinder and try to get past the driver and spring.

Since the key pin has fallen into the bible, it's of no concern.

Remove the key (the driver pin probably won't reach to the key) and use a pick to slowly ease the driver back into the bible.

The shim should slide under the driver, and allow you to remove the plug.

At this point you dump everything out, check your spring and start over.

Advice for the future: try not to drop the lock....

Happy picking,

Romstar & Lew
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:46 pm

Cheers dude... and romstar! I'll give that a try. 1.45am is a bit late to be cutting up cans so I'll do it in the morning.

...and yeah, dropping locks is bad!
<<

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:53 pm

haha, no problem, theres a few videos on youtube on how to shim cylinders so if you get stuck then their always there to help you.

good luck
Lew
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Yeah, I've ran into this myself. Lew gave the best into I could sum up and there's no point in repeating it.

Good luck!

Oh, but if you need a shim, buy a can of pop and cut it so you have a piece of metal running longways. It works the best compared to an actual shim made for shimming.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:29 am

i did this just a couple days ago... all i did was pick the dropped pins with a slimline long hook and then use a standard short hook to spp the rest of the pins... also maybe there is some way you could make a modified comb pick...?
<<

m0ose

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:46 am

Josh wrote:i did this just a couple days ago... all i did was pick the dropped pins with a slimline long hook and then use a standard short hook to spp the rest of the pins... also maybe there is some way you could make a modified comb pick...?

Problem is that his key is still in the lock. So if the key is jammed in there then he has to work without picking it as a pin is caught in the wrong hole in a cut of the key. So I dunno.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I couldn't get the shim to go in even a few mm and I didn't have any access to use a pick.

Frustration got the better of me so I got the grinder out and took the top off the lock, removed and re-fitted everything and added a few screws I had lying about so I could use it as an interchangeable practise lock. I'm happy with that!

Thanks again! :)

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:33 am

Bender wrote:Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I couldn't get the shim to go in even a few mm and I didn't have any access to use a pick.

Frustration got the better of me so I got the grinder out and took the top off the lock, removed and re-fitted everything and added a few screws I had lying about so I could use it as an interchangeable practise lock. I'm happy with that!

Thanks again! :)

Very good job!
;)
You adapted to a bad situation, salvaged what you had, and improvised that into a great learning tool. Now you have your own changeable practice lock and save yourself $50. That's what a practice rim cylinder on eBay goes for - one that does exactly what you did - drill and tap holes in the bible and then screw in set screws.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Nice one, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out! (woohoo)
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Bender wrote:Nice one, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out! (woohoo)

so would i, well done with the grinder :shock: (woohoo)

Return to HELP!!!!!