FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pin stuck in plug

<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Pin stuck in plug

So I accidentally my American A1100...

I was re-pinning it, too many spools for me to get it open, and I had it all back together right. But I went to pull the key out before replacing the clip on the back for some reason. The plug pulled out a little and the last pin got caught in the groove for the retaining clip.

Is what it looks like now. From front to back it has a pin in 1 and 2, 3 and 4 are empty, 5 is pinned and 6 is empty (5 pin lock with 6 possible). I'm pretty sure that the number 5 driver is now in the groove while the key pin is in 4's position. I've not come up with any way to actually touch the pin as the groove doesn't go all the way through the plug like a pin hole would.

Any ideas on what to do here?

EDIT: Fixed image.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

firstbiggestmost

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Pin stuck in plug

That sucks! Got anything you could shim it with? Good luck.
What man has done, man can do.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Most likely top pin #5 is in space #6 of the plug.

Try taking your pick from the back and picking the last space until you can turn it. Keep it upright so you don't end up with your keypins in the empty spaces in the bible.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:57 pm

I've tried shimming, but without being able to move the pins I can't get the shim between them and the plug.

I've tried picking from the back as well but since the key is stuck in it I can't actually get to a pin, just the empty 6th spot.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

when you pull out the key does the first keypin move at all or does it not go anwhere because the plug is not far out enough? ive had this happen to be before, with sadly enough someone elses lock... i ended up drilling out the first chamber to get the key out so i could use the lock without first pins in
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm

The first pin lifts a little but doesn't hit the housing. I think another pin is holding the key in because I can lift the first pin with some tweezers until it hits the bible, which extends past the plug housing so the face of the plug can fit flush. No way to remove the key as far as I can tell.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Okay, I've managed to get a straight pin bent in a way I can manipulate the 5th pin, but unfortunately that does nothing for plug movement. I'm thinking another pin is holding it in.

I do have an idea to get my lock working again though...

I have another core that seems to be similar in every way to my original, as far as I can tell anyways, my micrometer isn't the caliper style.

I'm thinking I can carefully cut the housing down the bottom and spread it apart enough to pull the plug out. Then I would be able to use the pins and such in my other housing so I'd have the same key and all.

Does this seem viable? Or am I just going to destroy the housing and still have a nonfunctional padlock?
<<

Violaetor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm assuming when you tried shimming you did it at the shear line. Have you tried shimming it through the keyway and use the shim to 'pick' it. You can cut down a cheap pop can to make narrower or various shim dimensions to try.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 pm

you can also try "rapping" the whole thing. if you take the whole thing in both hands, with the bible down, rapidly "knock" it on something hard (counter, table, etc. that your not worried about scratching). when doing this, hold the key head with thumb and forefinger of one hand, while the other hand holds the body of the cyl. what your essentially trying to do is "bump" the pins out of the plug, so that with a slight turning tension on the key head, it will pass and turn allowing you to put it all the way back in. (or a follower and back out depending on your goal) does that make sense the way I'm explaining it?
Jim.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Violaetor wrote:I'm assuming when you tried shimming you did it at the shear line. Have you tried shimming it through the keyway and use the shim to 'pick' it. You can cut down a cheap pop can to make narrower or various shim dimensions to try.

Tried shimming at the shear line, no luck. As you suggested I tried shimming through the keyway as well, still couldn't get it to work.

I tried the "rapping" method you described, and actually had some success!

Now it appears the key is being held by pin number 1, which is getting stuck on the extended bible. I'm wondering if I can grind that down enough to let the pin rise just a little further and let the key out. The bible sticking out like that is just decorative right? There so the face of the plug (no idea what the real name is) sits flush?
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 am

Well, yeah that part of the bible is just "decorative" LOL. but since you are having success, I would keep at it. the rapping method WILL work. just gotta time the rap with slight pressure on the key, but not so much that you hold the pins in place. it will come out. perhaps a sharper quicker rap? or a little harder? you're on the right track.
keep at it. don't really want to weaken the bible by grinding as you may then find it's actually a different pin holding the key.
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:44 pm

I've spent a couple hours trying it, I've got no further at all. Actually the key moved back forward once and I was able to pull it out again so I'm not entirely sure the rapping is what let it move the first time. I'm fairly certain that the first pin is what is holding it now, if I pull on the key the first pin binds and I am unable to push it back down. If I ease up on the pressure and push on the pin the key moves forward again. That's not to say another pin won't bind it after that one is removed though.

I think I'm going to try grinding it. A weakened bible hopefully won't hurt that much as I'm never going to use this to actually lock anything up, just for picking. Worst case I'm fairly certain this other one I have is the same size.

Thank you very much for the help!
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Ok, well let us know how it goes. :)
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Got the key out, still trying to "pick" the other pins. Proving to be rather difficult without a vice though. Want to buy a third hand.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Success!

Had to make a tool from some WW inserts and hang a small pair of vice grips from the face of the plug to provide tension but I eventually got it. Hopefully the lesson sticks and I leave the damn key alone until I have the retaining clip on next time.

The damage to the bible getting the first pin out:

Not too bad I guess, lesson learned hopefully.

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate the help!

EDIT: Now a working lock, had to take out 2 serrated spools though, need to start with 1.

Next

Return to HELP!!!!!