FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Deadbolt installed cant remove keys

<<

plink

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:52 am

Deadbolt installed cant remove keys

Installed new 4 deadbolt locks in our new house 3 work great with no problems

On the 4th I have not been able to remove the keys.

The bolt thows nice and smooth with no binding but the key can not be removed from the lock
Before I installed the dam thing the lockset worked smoothly and the key was easy to insert and remove.

Thanks for any help
<<

bouncer965

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:59 am

Re: Deadbolt installed cant remove keys

You may have a knackered spring inside the lock and therefore not allowing the key to be removed. Does the key still turn the lock ? If so you can removed the barrel and strip the lock to see what is wrong with the guts.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:23 am

I'm not sure what lock you have so this info may not be right. But try this and if it doesn't work get us some pictures to work with.

Take the lock back off the door. Now when you try to install it again, do it with the bolt thrown (bolt sticking out) and without the keys in the lock.

Most likely what you have is a simple timing issue, and that simple trick will usually fix the problem.
<<

barbarian

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:58 am

The previous ideas sound good to me.

The only other thing I can think of is the little clip that holds the plug in the lock might be loose. If you look at your lock and notice the little round part that turns with the key. Is there any in and out movement on that part ? If so just press it in all the way with your finger while trying to remove the key.

This happened to a lock at work once. The plug would pull out just a hair and the pins didn't line up so they trapped the key. Someone else had tried to pull out the key that was stuck with vise grips.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Remove back, and remove lock cylinder from door. Make sure the tailpiece is rotated to work lock with no key in lock. Do this with the tumbturn on the inside of door. Install screws when lock functions correctly. Hopefully this will solve it.
<<

KJ4IPS

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Can the cylinder be returned to insertion/removal position (probably 12 O-Clock, bitting side up)?

Yes:
Uh Oh... Looks as if your key has been jammed, I would advise removing the lock(if you can) and removing the circlip (the small metal clip at the end) and then rotating the cylinder to about 3 o clock, then using a rod of the same diameter as the plug(as viewed from the back) to push the plug out IMPORTANT: be VERY sure that you have the plug pin-side up, as to keep from dropping the key pins. remove all pins from plug and set aside, making note of the position of each. at this point, you should be able to remove the key, reinsert the pins, reinsert the plug WARNING: MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO THIS WITH THE PLUG NOT IN THE INSERTION POSITION(else bad things will happen), replace the circlip, then reinstall the lock, it is best to do this with the bolt extended, and no key in the lock, use another key, not a copy of the first, to ensure that the key can extend and retract the bolt (and also be removed). DO NOT USE THE FIRST KEY... EVER!!! (I use a key that this has been artificially introduced into on the inside of a double deadbolt, and this "Captive Key" cannot be removed without disassembling the lock)

No:See Above Post
It is foolish to think that any puzzle born of human ingenuity cannot be unraveled by the same (Someone whose name I have forgotten)
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 pm

THERMITE! Just kidding, maybe... no really, don't do it
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm

For reals? this isn't really a problem at all, but then again I find this stuff quite normal, I have seen it happen several times. You have to know the ins and outs of normal residential locks then you can come up with a few methods to get your key out. No long winded post will fix this. Just use your head.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Scrince

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:50 am

Just take out the door hardware, Or if all else fails drill it.....
A spy is just a criminal with a government paycheck.....

Return to HELP!!!!!