FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need Montgomery Ward 9042-Series Sequence

<<

WB6FRZ

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Need Montgomery Ward 9042-Series Sequence

I'm new to this forum and have a Montgomery Ward 9042 Combination safe. I have not opened it in decades and need the dial sequence. I actually have the combination numbers; I just need the sequence to use them; I've tried several without success. The S&G 4-3-2-1 sequence does not seem to work. Thanks in advance for your help.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Re: Need Montgomery Ward 9042-Series Sequence

Hello,
So you've tried: 4 times left to the first number, 3 times right to the second number, 2 times left to the third number and then turned right to retract the bolt. Felt the dial stop, and then tried to turn the handle?
Can you post a photo of the safe and a good shot of the dial? Can you perform a wheel count?
<<

WB6FRZ

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Yes, I did try the CCW 4 times to 1st, CW 3rd time to 2nd, CCW 2nd time to 3rd, CW to retract bolt (which I never felt). I have no background in working with safes or locks so I don't know how to do a wheel count. I have included photos of the safe and a close-up of the dial. The safe dimensions are 24" deep, 17" wide, 21 1/2" high. The front is labeled "Montgomery Ward 9042." A placard on the right side top shows "Serial Number B80-40313 Model No. 1." The dial/handle assembly really looks like it was made by Melink but that's just an un-educated guess from someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:21 pm

I was thinking, if you have the correct combination and seems to be dialing correctly, maybe something inside has came loose inside the lock.? Try shifting the combination numbers , Add 1 to each number, add 2 to each number, subtract 1 number to each, then 2.
Wheel count would help you figure if All wheels are being pickup and rotating around. Also tell you how many wheels( which should match the numbers of your combo), feel 3 wheels pickup, should have a three digit combo, 4 wheels pickup you'd need a 4 digit combo.
Try running your combo slowly and carefully, when you turn right for the last time, try shaking (oscillating) the dial ever 5 numbers as you go around to your drop in area. I'm guessing you have a 3 digit combo?
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Been along time between the last time you opened.? Maybe you should also try shifting the order of your combo numbers. ex. ABC to ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:45 pm

More times than not, the person dialing doesn't take it SLOW to the right to last dead-stop number. Not saying you did that, just saying that at last turn to right slow it down and you can feel/hear the nose drop into the drive cam on this Center Manufacturing #100 lock. Yes, varying each number +- 1 or 2 numbers may also work. Sequence 4-3-2-right to stop, LRLR.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi Bitbuster, Glad you saw this and came to help.
Is there any chance you have the correct combo and the incorrect safe? Or vice-versa?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:33 pm

Isn't this a direct entry safe lock? Quick check - turn the handle like you are trying to open the door until it is stopped. While holding it there, try turning the dial. If it feels the same as it did when you were dialing before, then I am just not thinking correctly. (Which is a definite possibility). If it is harder to turn, or turns a short way, then the handle turns a bit more and the dial stops turning, then it is direct entry.

If it is direct entry, then dial 3-2-1 (stopping on the last number), then turn the handle. If that direction does not work, try turning it the other way.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:43 pm

WB6FRZ wrote:Yes, I did try the CCW 4 times to 1st, CW 3rd time to 2nd, CCW 2nd time to 3rd, CW to retract bolt (which I never felt). I have no background in working with safes or locks so I don't know how to do a wheel count. I have included photos of the safe and a close-up of the dial. The safe dimensions are 24" deep, 17" wide, 21 1/2" high. The front is labeled "Montgomery Ward 9042." A placard on the right side top shows "Serial Number B80-40313 Model No. 1." The dial/handle assembly really looks like it was made by Melink but that's just an un-educated guess from someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about......

4 times to the left is actually turning CW not CCW.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:44 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Isn't this a direct entry safe lock? Quick check - turn the handle like you are trying to open the door until it is stopped. While holding it there, try turning the dial. If it feels the same as it did when you were dialing before, then I am just not thinking correctly. (Which is a definite possibility). If it is harder to turn, or turns a short way, then the handle turns a bit more and the dial stops turning, then it is direct entry.

If it is direct entry, then dial 3-2-1 (stopping on the last number), then turn the handle. If that direction does not work, try turning it the other way.

Gordon

These are not a direct entry. They are a 3 wheel key change lock. One clue to that is the change index on the dial ring.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Gordon,
I was going to guess the lock is a Sargent Greenleaf 6709, but now putting my money on Bitbuster. Let's hope it gets opened up!
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi 5150,
Can some of these have the plastic wheels that are hand changed as well?
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11807&start=105
Some where here........Maybe Oldfast's Chronicles I've seen this Montgomery Wards safe before. Just can't find it.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:48 pm

mdc5150 wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Isn't this a direct entry safe lock? Quick check - turn the handle like you are trying to open the door until it is stopped. While holding it there, try turning the dial. If it feels the same as it did when you were dialing before, then I am just not thinking correctly. (Which is a definite possibility). If it is harder to turn, or turns a short way, then the handle turns a bit more and the dial stops turning, then it is direct entry.

Gordon

These are not a direct entry. They are a 3 wheel key change lock. One clue to that is the change index on the dial ring.

Therefore I was not thinking correctly. :oops: That's what I get for looking at the pic with my tiny screen phone. Thanks!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:05 pm

mdc5150 wrote:4 times to the left is actually turning CW not CCW.

My clocks must be turning the wrong way.

Meilink, yes. I have a 1 cubic foot little cousin to yours, with the Center Mfg. #100 lock.

Turn the dial several times in one direction, and set at 50. Reverse direction and see if you can feel a very slight amount of additional resistance each time you pass 50 for the first three turns.
Next

Return to HELP!!!!!