FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help - Re-Assembling Abloy 330 (sentry keyway)

<<

Roy

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Help - Re-Assembling Abloy 330 (sentry keyway)

I've recently been playing with an abloy 330 padlock I acquired

Having removed the plug with the key detained, I've rather stupidly managed to allow the discs to be mixed up once removed :slam:

I've spent a few day's trying to re-assemble the core, but although close, no cigar and wondering if there is a way of me putting this thing back together ?

There is a thread on here showing a teardown of a 330 classic and some others, but the discs are very much different

Any help would be appreciated :)
Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Re: Help - Abloy 330 (sentry keyway)

Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:51 am

I service these all the time at work. I feel your pain mate. Happy to help out any way that I can.
<<

Roy

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:28 am

Thanks for the help so far, I'm keen to learn and appreciate any help

I've cobbled this together to try and illustrate what I'm up against with this lock:

Here is the key, (I'd left the warded bit on the end)

There is also this insert which fits onto the key and I assume that has to be on prior to inserting the key once the discs and spacers are stacked into the plug ?

Besides the discs there are also these which came from the bottom of the plug I think (furthest away from the bow)

Firstly this, which is nothing like anything else in the lock, I believe this one may sit onto the bottom of the brass plug before anything is stacked ?

Next is this, which is different from all the other spacers within the lock

Here you can see it next to one of the regular spacers for comparison, I believe this one may sit somewhere near the bottom of the stack ?

Also there is this, again I'm sure this came from the bottom end of the stack (furthest away from the bow)

It looks like a steel disc unlike the others and is the only one of it's kind within the lock

And lastly this disc, which unlike the others, will not move past the bottom of the key and I'm pretty sure it came from the bottom of the stack

Other than that, I have 8 discs left and 8 spacers, and have no clue what order to stack them, I've had several attempts but no use

Also what is the correct way to assemble them, so far I have tried placing them in the plug by aligning the gate up with the cutout for the bar

Again any help is appreciated :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 am

The bent looking washer works as a spring to keep some tension on the disc pack.

I would assemble the stack in the carrier, one disc at a time. Insert the key and turn it. If the gate lines up, good. Turn the key back to the 'locked' position. If not, try another disc.

When it is correct, add a spacer and the next disc. Repeat until all the discs are installed correctly in the carrier, and the key makes all the gates line up under the slot for the sidebar. Use a tiny bit of lube between each disc.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Roy

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:10 am

GWiens2001 wrote:The bent looking washer works as a spring to keep some tension on the disc pack.

I would assemble the stack in the carrier, one disc at a time. Insert the key and turn it. If the gate lines up, good. Turn the key back to the 'locked' position. If not, try another disc.

When it is correct, add a spacer and the next disc. Repeat until all the discs are installed correctly in the carrier, and the key makes all the gates line up under the slot for the sidebar. Use a tiny bit of lube between each disc.

Gordon

I've tried doing that already, problem is, I get the steel disc and two others going that way nicely but come to find a 4th one that moves properly is proving difficult, I can stack a 5th disc and it moves ok, but I can't get any of the remaining ones to line up as they have a different circular gate (there are 3 of these) and I assume they are for a false gate ? I can't get any of these gates to line up with the slot for the sidebar with the protruding tab onto obe side like the others :(
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Help - Re-Assembling Abloy 330 (sentry keyway)

Apologies in advanced but I'm stumped. Doesn't look like a regular Protec system which I deal with. Do you have pictures of the keying discs?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Mur670 wrote:Apologies in advanced but I'm stumped. Doesn't look like a regular Protec system which I deal with. Do you have pictures of the keying discs?

His is not a Protec system. It is a Sentry system. SImilar, but the key only works on one direction. Also only has cuts on one side of the key. Sort of a cross between the Disclock and the Classic.

Gordon
<<

Roy

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Yeah I'm sure it's Sentry, it does however have cuts on both side of the key

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
Mur670 wrote:Apologies in advanced but I'm stumped. Doesn't look like a regular Protec system which I deal with. Do you have pictures of the keying discs?

His is not a Protec system. It is a Sentry system. SImilar, but the key only works on one direction. Also only has cuts on one side of the key. Sort of a cross between the Disclock and the Classic.

Gordon

It's actually more like the bastard child of an Exec and Classic :)

Here goes with the assembly, lets start with a photo of all the parts laid out in order.

Abloy PL330 Sentry assembly.jpg

Lay out your parts about like this, so you can easily follow. I suggest tracing one of the code discs (brass) on the paper and then comparing all discs on top of it to draw those 6 lines that go from 0 to 5. They cover 90 degrees, as that's what the key turns. Remember that the code discs are NOT reversible, they have to be the same way as in the picture.

On your key it is easy to see the key cuts, 0 is a no cut, 5 is a cut that goes around 90 degrees, meaning it is the thinnest/flattest on such location. Everything else is then just eye approximation, like "that is one cut deeper than that one" and so on. This way you can check what code discs you have, what cuts your key has and then it is easy to assemble them in order the first time. So mark your discs code numbers according to the trace out you made, it makes your job easier.

But first, lets start the assembly from the lock body itself. Place the shackle in the lock body so that the longer leg of the shackle is on the side that has the retainer screw hole on the side of the lock. Then smear grease over those locking balls, drop them in the core hole from the bottom of the lock and push them in place with a screw driver or something. Lay the lock flat on the table so you don't upset the balls, because next time your hands are full when coming back to this part.

To assemble the disc pack, hold the cylinder open end up and the cutout towards you, thus the locking bar slot is away from you. Hold it in your non-functioning-arm. Then start picking those discs by holding them between your thumb and first digit by the little tab so your fingers are on top and bottom of the disc. This allows you to easily slide in the discs in to the core. When you slide a disc in, turn it counter-clockwise until the tab touches the right side of the core. This is the normal "unlocked" position for discs and thus enables to enter the key in.

You start assembling the disc pack from right to left (where it says "BOTTOM" in the photo). That first disc is a thin steel disc with a zero lifter cutout. This is what is the "tensioning" disc if you were picking this. It is called lifter because the cutouts one side is sloped more than regular code discs. This is an easy way to distinguish all the 0 discs as these have that property.

Next up comes the first (and maybe only) 0 code disc that is of brass.

Then comes all the ret in the order of spacer - code disc - spacer - code disc. The order of code discs is according to your key cuts. The deeper the cut in the key, the more closer to the locking bar the disc cutout should be when resting in the core in the normal position as described earlier. You can test your key by inserting it fully to the bottom and turning until it stops. The cutouts should line up with the locking bar groove. Then turn the key back counter-clockwise until it stops and carefully remove it so it doesn't snag on the discs and rip them out of the core!

On top of everything comes the slightly bent washer to take up all the slack in the parts.

The last one is the two-piece part that consists of the U-shaped copper color piece fitted in to the thin steel profile disc, which is a zero lifter too. It isn't reversible either, so make sure the cutout is to the left.

On the back of the core should be a little spring. Dab grease on the end of it to hold it in place.

Now, carefully pick up your lock body without disturbing the balls. Line up the locking bar groove of the core with the one in the body by eye and slide the core in by keeping your finger on top of the discs so they don't fall out. The core should be flush where the threads in the body end.

Now turn the body so that the shackle is pointing down, so that nothing falls. Drop the locking bar in its groove. Then place the large thin copper color washer on top of the core and screw down the top cap. Notice that it has four dimples for the retainer screw to fit into and two of these are inline with the little cutouts in the front.

Pro tip: Your keys bow end fits those two cutouts in the end cap, so use your keys to turn it to proper orientation.

Turn the end cap in as far as it goes, then back it up until one of those four dimples lines up to the retainer screw hole on the side of the lock. Now insert your key, open the lock, lift the shackle up and use your 2 mm hex key to turn the retainer screw in. Please note that the retainer screw hole is angled a little. Snug it up what your fingers can easily do.

That's it, enjoy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Roy

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Thankyou, I'm reading it again as we speak.....
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:49 pm

And as Jaakko says, don't disturb the balls. Nobody likes to have their balls disturbed. :twisted:

Gordon
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:11 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:And as Jaakko says, don't disturb the balls. Nobody likes to have their balls disturbed. :twisted:

Gordon

Yep, especially when you have greased them to hold them in the hole :???:
<<

Roy

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:21 pm

oops, I've re-assembled it wrong and stuck the grub screw back in with the shackle closed, not a hope I can open it now, looks like I'll have to acquire another lock now for a play :slam:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:31 pm

How can you stick the grub screw in with the shackle closed?

Gordon
Next

Return to HELP!!!!!