FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bought my first radio.

<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:42 am

Bought my first radio.

I've been reading over the question pool and studying for the test, can't take it till at least July, probably August but I got an Icom IC-32AT Transceiver on ebay for 75 bucks minus battery, which go for under 45.

It's dual band 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter great reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6330

I figure 125 bucks(once I get battery) ain't a bad start into this hobby. Now to knock out the licenseing and learn a little before building a base station rig.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

sandman

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Bought my first radio.

that shits cool, i want to get into that. any websites you suggest for a noob?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 pm

sandman wrote:that shits cool, i want to get into that. any websites you suggest for a noob?

http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=3195

The thread above has some, but the two most popular are QRZ.com and Eham.net.

The Icom is a great radio. I have a ICU82 440 handheld, a IC T81 quadband (50, 144, 440, and 1200 MHz), not to mention my 706 MK II-G HF thru 440 mobile and a IC746 base station. I run about 800 watts on HF with an Ameritron 811 H tube amp.

Look forward to working some of you guys when you get your ticket.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:40 pm

If you have the old battery pack and its still in good shape, you may look at taking it to one of those battery places and see if they can rebuild the pack. It's cheaper than buying a new pack sometimes.

Some places will rebuild it for you, or you may try splitting the case and doing it yourself.

Here's a source for inserts: http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage2.htm

YOu can even get batteries off Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Eurus-1600mAh-Ni-MH-Battery-replacement/dp/B000N4NDG6

$23 bucks ain't bad.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm

I've found a lot of options, unfortunately it does not come with any battery, I knew this before i bid of course, but I did manage to get a DC power converter that takes 12 volts DC so I can run it off a car battery or off of a 12 volt transformer off house power. I've been taking the practice tests on QRZ like crazy and am up to about a 67% average on them, I started in the 40% range and I will be taking the hamtestonline.com program which is 20 bucks and it will teach you what you miss so it's not based off of memorizing and it's not a step by step learning program it teaches as you go and remembers the questions you miss and integrates questions from the same area you missed more often than ones you get right.

I've also been reading Ham Radios For Dummies and learning a lot of stuff. I realize this will be much more expensive than lock picking that's for sure, but something I want, not just for the fun factor, but emergency and survival factors as well. Wife took test one on QRZ and got 54% and she has NO background in any of this so she's interested as well. I've found a club in the Colorado SPrings area and membership dues are 18 bucks a year for a family. They also put on the tests every other month so I will go home enroll with them, go to some meetings and hopefully on August 13th I will be a licensed ham operator.

<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:03 pm

WolfSpring wrote:Wife took test one on QRZ and got 54% and she has NO background in any of this so she's interested as well. I've found a club in the Colorado SPrings area and membership dues are 18 bucks a year for a family. They also put on the tests every other month so I will go home enroll with them, go to some meetings and hopefully on August 13th I will be a licensed ham operator.

Good luck man. I'm happy to say that one of the guys on my FB mafia wars family was interested in getting his license. I pointed him in the direction of QRZ and after 4 weeks of cramming, he passed his Tech exam this afternoon with a 99% passing grade. Now he's studying for the General class license. :hbg:

Let me know if you need anything Wolf - I'll be glad to help.

<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:00 pm

It's all about time right now... Got lots of little plans and I'm taking on a lot right now. Read up on the ISS and satellite stuff, guess I lucked out my radio can do dual band 2m/70cm full duplex so I guess it can do satellite, though it does not appear, from the manual, to have doppler settings... I got a lot to learn but it looks like I got a great first rig and room to grow. My HOA agreement states I can not have any antennas attached to the roof or visable fromt he adjacent street, but I think I can get away with a directional that looks like a TV antenna and they wouldn't even know.

<<

orbitman

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:07 am

Hey Wolf,
Hang in there for the exam ya can do it. You will love Ham Radio. There are many areas of Ham Radio to get into. Yes it can get expensive, but just remember your "rig" radio does not have to be the best. The Antenna is 95% of the over all thing. With out a Good Antenna Tuned to the proper frequency ya have nothing. Check with your local Ham Radio Groups, they are many Ham Radio Operators that will be your "Elmer" people that will show you how to build good antennas etc.
Gordon West has good exam books, also "ARRL" American Radio Relay League is a wonderful organization to belong to. One thing is Don't be Afraid to ask Question, about Ham Radio. Keep us all updated on your progress. Good Luck.

Orbitman
<<

orbitman

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:28 am

Wolf,
Another thing is "Field Day Event" this is the last full weekend in June. Get a chance go to it in your local area. It is where all the Hams get together and set up antennas and radios to communicate all over the world. I'm writing this in the second segment, I'm not sure how much I can write at one time....hi hi.

Orbitman

Return to CQ DX