FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Magic the Gathering

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 am

Magic the Gathering

I played this game as a kid, and still have all my old cards. I recently got back into this (quite an expensive hobby). Curious to see if any of you are into this game or have cards you'd like to part with in a trade for locks (or paypal cash). Some of these cards can be worth serious money. I would mainly be looking for cards from the Legends expansion (released June 1994) or earlier expansions.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: Magic the Gathering

Haha - I used to play a lot too. I had a ton of cards, and still have them all. Can't remember what series' I have off the top of my head, but all mid to late '90s & early '00s.
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Used to play, and still do a little. Not sure if i'd be willing to sell much because i still play from time to time.I play a Mono black deck.
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:54 pm

I wish I knew someone around here that played... We used to stay up all night playing and drinking, lol. I tried to teach my wife once, but she wasn't very interested...

I'll have to break my cards out - I have a largish shoebox full. I know I have a few rare ones, but I'm not sure that I'd be willing to part with them. I'd like to start playing again. If only I knew anyone that still played...
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 pm

It is tough to find players... especially around here despite the game being pretty big on the international tournament scene. One of my friends plays so we build decks against each other. I might try starting a local casual club.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

pickafication

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Well if you ever felt like playing, Sometimes i play with my friends on skype. :P
<<

Josh66

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 am

I loaded some decks I had built sometime in the late 90's into Forge (slightlymagic.com, I think) to see if they were still any good against modern cards. They can still hold their own, lol.

I think I'm going to buy some new cards this weekend. I went through all my cards though, and there were a few from the Legends expansion, but only a handful. I think I probably got them in trade from someone.

I have a lot of Third Edition, a ton of Sixth Edition, all three of the "Urza's", and then some other random stuff that I got playing our trading other people.
<<

machinist

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 am

ha yeah I remember that, fun to mess around with I guess it was our generations version of dungeons and dragons. I think I have my cards floating around somewhere.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:30 am

Lock_Jockey wrote:ha yeah I remember that, fun to mess around with I guess it was our generations version of dungeons and dragons. I think I have my cards floating around somewhere.

I convinced Josh to check the prices on his cards... turns out hes sitting on over $200 I think. Might want to check those prices :hammering:

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Josh66

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Easily $200, even if I can only get half what they sell for at the place I was checking prices.

There was only one that they were selling for $90ish (didn't check what they were paying for it) - but I had maybe 10 - 15 in the $20 range. And maybe 30 or 40 in the $5 range. Then a bunch around a dollar, and of course a ton of really common ones that aren't really worth anything.

I don't think I'll sell any though. If anything it just makes me want to start playing again. I don't think I've played seriously (as in, against someone that knew how to play) since 2000, maybe 2001.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Magic is pretty addictive if not for the cards alone they are incredibly cool looking and some of the atrwork is incredible. Lots of people collect them and don't ever play. The cards are more stable than the stock market and gold.. the prices of the older powerful cards just keep going up and up over time. Definitely worth hanging on to for the long haul and a damn good solid investment if you buy the right cards.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Josh66

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 am

I just went through the catalog of cards in the 2014 set - not counting basic lands, there are only 26 cards in the entire expansion that were also in any of the expansions that I have now. Not sure if that's good or bad, lol.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am

Josh66 wrote:I just went through the catalog of cards in the 2014 set - not counting basic lands, there are only 26 cards in the entire expansion that were also in any of the expansions that I have now. Not sure if that's good or bad, lol.

They don't reprint everything. They try to keep the broken cards out of Standard. It is both good for collectors and bad for people playing Standard as things "rotate out" of legality. Legacy and Vintage is a whole other story, a very expensive one at that. You could potentially be playing against people who have $2000-$4000 60-card decks.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Alera

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:35 am

I play tournaments frequently, and before that I used to just play with homemade decks with my friends. They tore me apart when I went for the first time... Everyone uses decks with 3-4 copies of each card, with each card usually being a 10-40 dollar card. Works really really really well, but it took the fun of creating your own deck out of it for me. I still do tourneys just because they hand out cards like candy, although I prefer playing with my friends because it's a lot funner.
'Go Analog Baby, You're So Post-Modern'
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 am

Alera wrote:I play tournaments frequently, and before that I used to just play with homemade decks with my friends. They tore me apart when I went for the first time... Everyone uses decks with 3-4 copies of each card, with each card usually being a 10-40 dollar card. Works really really really well, but it took the fun of creating your own deck out of it for me. I still do tourneys just because they hand out cards like candy, although I prefer playing with my friends because it's a lot funner.

You'd like the Commander format. Each deck is 100 cards with a maximum of 1 copy per card each with the exception of basic lands.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
Next

Return to Gamers Only