Page 1 of 2

at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 am
by psykro
been pretty busy, but still getting the odd pick in. popped this the other day, big breakthrough for me.
5pinlkwd.jpg

find these harder than any other lock i have tried by a long way.
needed a lot of patience to get the binding order, the super-fine tolerances make it real hard to detect.
i think that is the main issue i have with these older lkwds.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:04 am
by GWiens2001
Good job! They are well made.

Gordon

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am
by MrWizard
Why pick it to the left was that the only way it would pick?

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 am
by AULockpicker
You might find that it's not only fine tolerances that makes picking Lockwoods difficult. Have you seen the bevel on some of their pins? The bevel on the pins in some Lockwoods are in my mind extreme bordering on the ridiculous ~ from a pickers point of view. I did a short vid a while ago showing that bevel.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:21 am
by psykro
GWiens2001 wrote:Good job! They are well made.

Gordon

thanks Gordon : ]

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 am
by psykro
MrWizard wrote:Why pick it to the left was that the only way it would pick?


it could go either way but ccw was the better feedback option on this one.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 am
by oldlock
The best way I have found with these is moderate tension, run through the pins once, then tickle each pin again. That usually deals with the bevel on the pins and then they are straightfoward.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 am
by psykro
AULockpicker wrote:You might find that it's not only fine tolerances that makes picking Lockwoods difficult. Have you seen the bevel on some of their pins? The bevel on the pins in some Lockwoods are in my mind extreme bordering on the ridiculous ~ from a pickers point of view. I did a short vid a while ago showing that bevel.


hi AULp, a fellow convict !
i haven't dismantled one of these, i like em too much. i have a repinnable assa lockwood though and i didn't notice any extreme bevelling on its pins.
do you have a link to your vid, i'd like to have a look at that mate.
i find the 4pinners lots easier, tho' they seem to have 1 or 2 spools in them. so far with these old 5 and 6 pinners i haven;t got one false set- just lots of oversets and stalemates due to wrong binding order... and perhaps. as you suggest, bevels!
thanks for the input, there isn't a whole lot i can find on these old lockwoods out there.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am
by psykro
oldlock wrote:The best way I have found with these is moderate tension, run through the pins once, then tickle each pin again. That usually deals with the bevel on the pins and then they are straightfoward.

cheers oldlock. this is great, a veritable hotspot for aussie lockwood data!
i have found your method essential for my newer [assa] 6pinner, buti don't seem to have much luck applying it to these old ones.
the 334B45 assa one was relatively easy for me compared to these. i hope one day i can regard them as straightforward lol.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am
by oldlock
That is a fairly old padlock you have there, factor in wear and tear + dirt (maybe) and it all equals problems.

No standard lockwood 5 or 6 pin products had (untill recently !) any anti-pick pins at all.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 am
by psykro
oldlock wrote:That is a fairly old padlock you have there, factor in wear and tear + dirt (maybe) and it all equals problems.

No standard lockwood 5 or 6 pin products had (untill recently !) any anti-pick pins at all.

yeah, i have been wondering about the dirt and wear n tear on my ones of this vintage. this one is probably hte cleanest body and most rust-free shackle of the lot.

that's what i had surmised from getting not one false set in the hours i have spent on 5 and 6 pinners, cheers for confirmation mate : ]

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 pm
by AULockpicker
psykro wrote:
AULockpicker wrote:You might find that it's not only fine tolerances that makes picking Lockwoods difficult. Have you seen the bevel on some of their pins? The bevel on the pins in some Lockwoods are in my mind extreme bordering on the ridiculous ~ from a pickers point of view. I did a short vid a while ago showing that bevel.


hi AULp, a fellow convict !
i haven't dismantled one of these, i like em too much. i have a repinnable assa lockwood though and i didn't notice any extreme bevelling on its pins.
do you have a link to your vid, i'd like to have a look at that mate.
i find the 4pinners lots easier, tho' they seem to have 1 or 2 spools in them. so far with these old 5 and 6 pinners i haven;t got one false set- just lots of oversets and stalemates due to wrong binding order... and perhaps. as you suggest, bevels!
thanks for the input, there isn't a whole lot i can find on these old lockwoods out there.


I checked my videos and it was a rim cylinder which had the large bevelled pins. I did perform surgery on a lockwood padlock some time ago to see how they are shielded, and that particular one had standard pins with standard bevels. I don't know if some lockwood padlocks have the same pins or if in fact the pins in the rim cylinder I put on YT had been doctored by a locksmith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_vPttdIZc

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm
by oldlock
Where the pins colour coded ? 99.999 % of aussie locksmiths use after market pins, they come in a variety of colours, silver, gold, green, purple, red .. They also have a different shape at their 'top' to the OEM pins.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm
by kilby
Well done,

I have a Lockwood with a removable core and I have a feeling that it is going to be a long fought battle before I beat that one.

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
by psykro
AULockpicker wrote:I checked my videos and it was a rim cylinder which had the large bevelled pins. I did perform surgery on a lockwood padlock some time ago to see how they are shielded, and that particular one had standard pins with standard bevels. I don't know if some lockwood padlocks have the same pins or if in fact the pins in the rim cylinder I put on YT had been doctored by a locksmith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_vPttdIZc

cheers for link mate, didn't realise but i had already subscribed to your channel : ]
i reckon those pins look modified but just speculation really. i have repinned a few lkwd rim cylinders now, and i haven't struck any with that hardcore chamfer.
that is an old cylinder though [no faceplate] so who knows?
let me know when you pick that bastard!