FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 am

at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

been pretty busy, but still getting the odd pick in. popped this the other day, big breakthrough for me.
5pinlkwd.jpg

find these harder than any other lock i have tried by a long way.
needed a lot of patience to get the binding order, the super-fine tolerances make it real hard to detect.
i think that is the main issue i have with these older lkwds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

User avatar

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Posts: 3372

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 am

Location: Arizona, United States

Post Tue May 07, 2013 6:04 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

Good job! They are well made.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 325

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Location: Arizona U.S.A. Planet Earth

Post Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

Why pick it to the left was that the only way it would pick?
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Posts: 50

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Location: South Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

You might find that it's not only fine tolerances that makes picking Lockwoods difficult. Have you seen the bevel on some of their pins? The bevel on the pins in some Lockwoods are in my mind extreme bordering on the ridiculous ~ from a pickers point of view. I did a short vid a while ago showing that bevel.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:21 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

GWiens2001 wrote:Good job! They are well made.

Gordon

thanks Gordon : ]
<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

MrWizard wrote:Why pick it to the left was that the only way it would pick?


it could go either way but ccw was the better feedback option on this one.
<<

oldlock

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 176

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:10 am

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

The best way I have found with these is moderate tension, run through the pins once, then tickle each pin again. That usually deals with the bevel on the pins and then they are straightfoward.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

AULockpicker wrote:You might find that it's not only fine tolerances that makes picking Lockwoods difficult. Have you seen the bevel on some of their pins? The bevel on the pins in some Lockwoods are in my mind extreme bordering on the ridiculous ~ from a pickers point of view. I did a short vid a while ago showing that bevel.


hi AULp, a fellow convict !
i haven't dismantled one of these, i like em too much. i have a repinnable assa lockwood though and i didn't notice any extreme bevelling on its pins.
do you have a link to your vid, i'd like to have a look at that mate.
i find the 4pinners lots easier, tho' they seem to have 1 or 2 spools in them. so far with these old 5 and 6 pinners i haven;t got one false set- just lots of oversets and stalemates due to wrong binding order... and perhaps. as you suggest, bevels!
thanks for the input, there isn't a whole lot i can find on these old lockwoods out there.
<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

oldlock wrote:The best way I have found with these is moderate tension, run through the pins once, then tickle each pin again. That usually deals with the bevel on the pins and then they are straightfoward.

cheers oldlock. this is great, a veritable hotspot for aussie lockwood data!
i have found your method essential for my newer [assa] 6pinner, buti don't seem to have much luck applying it to these old ones.
the 334B45 assa one was relatively easy for me compared to these. i hope one day i can regard them as straightforward lol.
<<

oldlock

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 176

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:10 am

Post Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

That is a fairly old padlock you have there, factor in wear and tear + dirt (maybe) and it all equals problems.

No standard lockwood 5 or 6 pin products had (untill recently !) any anti-pick pins at all.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

oldlock wrote:That is a fairly old padlock you have there, factor in wear and tear + dirt (maybe) and it all equals problems.

No standard lockwood 5 or 6 pin products had (untill recently !) any anti-pick pins at all.

yeah, i have been wondering about the dirt and wear n tear on my ones of this vintage. this one is probably hte cleanest body and most rust-free shackle of the lot.

that's what i had surmised from getting not one false set in the hours i have spent on 5 and 6 pinners, cheers for confirmation mate : ]
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Posts: 50

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Location: South Australia

Post Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

psykro wrote:
AULockpicker wrote:You might find that it's not only fine tolerances that makes picking Lockwoods difficult. Have you seen the bevel on some of their pins? The bevel on the pins in some Lockwoods are in my mind extreme bordering on the ridiculous ~ from a pickers point of view. I did a short vid a while ago showing that bevel.


hi AULp, a fellow convict !
i haven't dismantled one of these, i like em too much. i have a repinnable assa lockwood though and i didn't notice any extreme bevelling on its pins.
do you have a link to your vid, i'd like to have a look at that mate.
i find the 4pinners lots easier, tho' they seem to have 1 or 2 spools in them. so far with these old 5 and 6 pinners i haven;t got one false set- just lots of oversets and stalemates due to wrong binding order... and perhaps. as you suggest, bevels!
thanks for the input, there isn't a whole lot i can find on these old lockwoods out there.


I checked my videos and it was a rim cylinder which had the large bevelled pins. I did perform surgery on a lockwood padlock some time ago to see how they are shielded, and that particular one had standard pins with standard bevels. I don't know if some lockwood padlocks have the same pins or if in fact the pins in the rim cylinder I put on YT had been doctored by a locksmith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_vPttdIZc
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

oldlock

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 176

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:10 am

Post Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

Where the pins colour coded ? 99.999 % of aussie locksmiths use after market pins, they come in a variety of colours, silver, gold, green, purple, red .. They also have a different shape at their 'top' to the OEM pins.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

kilby

Familiar Face

Posts: 30

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Location: Belfast

Post Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

Well done,

I have a Lockwood with a removable core and I have a feeling that it is going to be a long fought battle before I beat that one.
<<

psykro

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 104

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Location: Australia

Post Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am

Re: at last- 5pin olschool lockwood picked

AULockpicker wrote:I checked my videos and it was a rim cylinder which had the large bevelled pins. I did perform surgery on a lockwood padlock some time ago to see how they are shielded, and that particular one had standard pins with standard bevels. I don't know if some lockwood padlocks have the same pins or if in fact the pins in the rim cylinder I put on YT had been doctored by a locksmith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_vPttdIZc

cheers for link mate, didn't realise but i had already subscribed to your channel : ]
i reckon those pins look modified but just speculation really. i have repinned a few lkwd rim cylinders now, and i haven't struck any with that hardcore chamfer.
that is an old cylinder though [no faceplate] so who knows?
let me know when you pick that bastard!
Next

Return to Lock Porn

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware