FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Avoiding Glare in Pics

Moderator: elbowmacaroni

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Avoiding Glare in Pics

Hey there...

A handy trick to reduce glare of metal objects when taking pics is to place a piece of white paper such as a business card over the flash when taking the picture. It spreads the light out and makes it more diffused so that you don't get that hot spot of the flash reflecting. You should hold the paper just a little off the flash though maybe 1/4"-1/2" to get good diffusion.

-Elbow :akimbo:
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

happykill

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: Avoiding Glare in Pics

I did this with my canon xs. I glued tin foil to the index card and attached it on an angle so that it would deflect to the ceiling, worked perfectly. I got some really good shots like this in poorly lit area's of the house.
-------------------------------
Known Some Call Is Air Am
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:12 am

As suggested by the previous authors of posts, "ceiling bounce " works
fairly well. If one has a fairly powerfull flash, its' head can be tilted upwards at about 45-60 degrees so reflected light illuminates the subject.-
very simular to what was described, but without foil or card.

Alternatively you can use a bit of Krylon Dulling Spray.
The chemicals in the Krylon spray are probably not good for you-especially
your DNA- so, please be carefull.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 am

Well, you both raise good points and suggestions, However, the point of my post was more aimed at people with point and shoot cameras with fixed on camera flashes. The flashes on most p&s cameras are too weak to bounce and still get a good exposure, not unless the camera has a manual mode OR can meter lock off a sample flash.

If you have a shoe mount flash DON'T EVER point it at your subject! (Unless you have an off camera bracket for it) Always bounce or use a diffuser cap. And really for taking pics of locks and stuff, you're likely to being doing close up shots, so if you have a flash where you need to bounce, you also likely have an SLR. In which case get a ring flash. Seriously... the emobltiz is super cheap and works very well for closeup and macro work and comes with a full compliment of adapter rings.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:42 am

Personally I don't use flash at all, but this is a good trick. Elbow knows his shit, he is a photography wiseman.
<<

Tygart

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 pm

A piece of tissue works really good too, there are a lot of really good DIY light box articles too, which is perfect for any reflective items. and last for metal you can buy some "Dulling Spray" that you can get from an art supply store, that will take the shine down.

Return to Photography Tips, Tricks, Suggestions