FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset Smart Key Lock Opening

<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Kwikset Smart Key Lock Opening

Thanks, Farmerfreak. Do you know if they share the other vulnerabilities with the SmartKey locks, like being forced with the DumbKey tool?
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Don't know if forcing it would work very well or not. If it does work, I have little doubt that the lock wouldn't lock after.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
MBI wrote:If it's the tool I'm thinking of, Farmerfreak invented it. Or at least the concept. It uses a modified blank with a longitudinal slot cut away and a 45 degree angled part of it near the tip, polished to a mirror finish to allow you to look in and see the reflection through the pin/wafer "channels" cut into the sides of the lock. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's sort of the basic gist of it. Hopefully Farmerfreak will see this thread and have time to chime in with some details and correct the mistakes I'm sure to have made in this description.
Looks correct to me. :smile:

Can I see a pic of your tool Farmerfreak?
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 pm

jones wrote:
Farmerfreak wrote:
MBI wrote:If it's the tool I'm thinking of, Farmerfreak invented it. Or at least the concept. It uses a modified blank with a longitudinal slot cut away and a 45 degree angled part of it near the tip, polished to a mirror finish to allow you to look in and see the reflection through the pin/wafer "channels" cut into the sides of the lock. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's sort of the basic gist of it. Hopefully Farmerfreak will see this thread and have time to chime in with some details and correct the mistakes I'm sure to have made in this description.
Looks correct to me. :smile:

Can I see a pic of your tool Farmerfreak?

This is a picture of an old one of mine. The professionally made one is based off of this design, and works a hell of a lot better!

FYI, I am not affiliated with the manufactured tool. I did not patent the tool, I made the tool for myself and shared the concept with pretty much anyone who asked. It seems very few people had the eyesight and patience to be able to use it. The manufactured one is much brighter and easier to use than mine, still you will need pretty good vision to use it. Also, they were nice enough to ask permission to make it even though they did not need to.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:31 pm

So while using this tool the reflection is seen on the angled cut-out, near the tip of the key, where the light is shining?

Thank You for the picture btw
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah, dude. If you click the image FF posted and browse through the album, you will see the different depths as they appear in the lock. Great work, as usual, FarmerFreak!
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:58 pm

I had a client today with a kwikset tustin leverset, smart key lock that would no longer work after he bought a key from ace hdwr. Looked to me like he tried too hard to get the lock open, anyhow I pulled the cylinder & tried to recode it with my smart key cradle, it refused to work at first & then I noticed two wafers were hanging out. I installed an old-style pin tumbler tustin lever and I noticed that even though this client has 4 keys that were each cut at a dif hardware store, all of the keys fit my pin tumbler (new lockset) very well. In fact I often chamfer the tumbler holes to make hardware store keys fit, but in this case none was needed.
This is the second kwikset smart key lock that has failed in this way in ten days.

I left the old lock with the client and told them to take it back, as it had obviously failed under warranty. I keep hoping if enough folks take enough of these junky locks back kwikset will eventually go bankrupt, but I don't suppose it will occur within my lifetime.
Previous

Return to Awol's Research & Development