FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Modifiable Pocket Set

<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Modifiable Pocket Set

Hey All,

My daily domestic gain-entry kit runs in a Pelican 1400 case (Pick gun, Hand pickset, Spinner, Auto tools, Wires, Impression file, etc.) that I have no intention of getting rid of,
But currently I'm carrying a shortened HPC snake and turn in my multitool sheath.
That system has worked well. Walk around doing a survey or such and someone wants a filing cabinet open, etc.

I own, but never use, an aluminum Folding Pickset from Southern Specialties / Lockpicktools.com
I find the toolset friction locking/tension system quite novelty and not suitable longterm.

However, I was just reminded of the Southord system with it's screw-locking method.
The toolset inside is less of interest to me, as I would prefer to fit it out with my own preference of tools.

Has anyone owned and used one of these longterm, and can they provide the internal width of the toolset channel, and the width of each pick?

If of interest, I can post a seperate topic with my Multitool pouch and the modified EDC picks.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: Modifiable Pocket Set

I have the Southern Specialties and Southord folding picksets. The Southern Specialties seems MUCH more solid to me when comparing them side by side.

The Southord is extremely wobbly even with the screw fully tightened. Plus, if you carry it daily the screw tends to work loose and fall out. Which is why it's the one spare part for these that Southord usually stocks. If you want to change picks, you have to drive out the pin with a punch. It's tapered and if you drive it out the wrong way you can ruin the handle. I've been told it'll loosen up quickly if you remove it very often. leaving it susceptible to falling out and getting lost much like the screw, but I haven't removed mine enough for that to happen yet.

I've carried the Southord one for years. In my opinion, it's kinda crappy, but it's better than nothing in a pinch. I recently picked up the Southern Specialties one to replace it since replacement picks are easy and cheap to order, it's easy to change out the picks and the picks lock up solid, but I haven't carried it long term so I don't know how it'll hold up in the long run.

I'll see if I can find my calipers this evening and take some of the measurements you're looking for.

*EDIT*:
Ok, while I don't recommend buying the Southord set, here are the measurements you asked for. Mine is the fiberglass handle.

Overall length of the picks: 2.45"
Thickness of the individual picks: 0.022"
Width of pick channel in handle: 0.125"
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 pm

for the longest time in iraq all I had was te plastic handled jacknife from southern specialties... it works well if you know what your doing... infact I still keep that same kit in my car and use it semi often (for practacing in my car or on actual calls when im pickless)
I see no reason why it would not be longterm...
and you can order many pick tips for it... yes the picks are weaker than petersons or a few others... but be gentile and it should last as long as any southord (excluding max)

Id love to get the aluminum handle on my jacknife kit... I ordered the plastic one because it came with 2 tensors instead of 1... the thin tensor comes in handy alot (tok)

on a side note... DONT overtighten the screw on the plastic handle (for anyone else with one) you can strip the plastic and itll be useless

EDIT: here is a vid of my review of the southern specialties set...
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for the dimensions Mick.

I have the Southern Specialties Aluminium handled one, refitted with my personal preference in tips.
Maybe it's time to give it a second chance, I may put some time in to the handle and shape it to my preferences, give it some hefting and post the results.
I'll carry separate tension tools anyway.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Id love to see any modifications you make... a bug chunky rectangle is not very comfortable... just effective.
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm

I own the Southord jackknife and I've been looking at the Southern Specialties one because they offer more pick profiles that I prefer. They also sell blanks so you can make your own. Somewhere I thought it said you could pick which profiles you wanted but it might have been a different website for someone who is reselling it.

I can confirm that over time the set screw on the Southord set gets looser and looser. When I first got it the picks were held in there very well. Now when I try to pick they move around a lot.

Return to Awol's Research & Development