FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Diebold 4 wheel vault lock. Pics. Any info?

<<

jgriner

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Re: Diebold 4 wheel vault lock. Pics. Any info?

so i think i did a horrible job explaining it above, so here is the pics notice the 2nd and 3rd change keys are the flats are mirror images, the one on the left will change the lock but destory the back cover, because the cover wont allow it to change the correct way, the one on the right is the correct key for that lock, most of the time
2014-11-03 21.52.27.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Interesting, I never knew that they had reverse change keys like that. I took a closer look at my lock and it would seem a reverse key is needed. If a normal key is used it would push straight into the tabs instead of pushing them down like the correct key.

And when you said "mickey mouse" key I was thinking of one like the pre 1950s brass S&G change keys with the big ears on them :lol:

Thank you for the information.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 pm

jgriner wrote:yeah thats a s&g lock manufactured for diebold, it normally uses what i call a mickymouse change keys, but diebold at also had the half moon change key made also.

beware that diebold most of the time, half moon keys turns backwords, meaning it doesnt use a normall lagard change key but one is a complete mirror image of the change key. the moon is cut backwards. dont force it most of these locks are missed up because someone forced the wrong change key in

Fortunately the 3330 lock has to be the cheapest place to find a new, disposable wheel pack
Especially during Locktoberfest at Lockmasters, usually
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:01 pm

jones wrote:
jgriner wrote:yeah thats a s&g lock manufactured for diebold, it normally uses what i call a mickymouse change keys, but diebold at also had the half moon change key made also.

beware that diebold most of the time, half moon keys turns backwords, meaning it doesnt use a normall lagard change key but one is a complete mirror image of the change key. the moon is cut backwards. dont force it most of these locks are missed up because someone forced the wrong change key in

Fortunately the 3330 lock has to be the cheapest place to find a new, disposable wheel pack
Especially during Locktoberfest at Lockmasters, usually

Unfortunately it is not quite a lagard wheel pack. Parts are different.

<<

jgriner

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 pm

i had a vault in ky w/your combo pack had always given me problems. after working on it several times ended swapped out the wheels out with the (mickey mouse) wheels, it did mate up after a few modification and for some reason the back cover would not go back on. (it was several years ago) so that combo pack is missing the cover.

later i ended up pulling the complete cover off the back of the vault and discovered that several of the moving bars where badly warped. my best guess was the vault was dropped before install and reskinned.

but the moral of the story is that some of these parts are interchangeable with work. I may have some old pics somewhere.

unrelated to why it has always given me problems this is the combo pack i learned about the reversed change key.
<<

jgriner

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:09 pm

havent found my old lock picture yet, but my first call was combo changes on a lefenburo door, guess what lock it has.

it too also used the reverse change key, so im guessing the reversed key is for 4 wheel locks, where the normal is for the 3 wheel locks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Interesting, I think I have a diebold change key with a friend in the US that is shaped just like the one on that page.

<<

Intrepid

Post Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:07 am

This is a LaGard lock that was made for Diebold and based on the S&G series of locks, yes I know the part #'s and it says Diebold. I have seen the identical lock with LaGard on it used on a LeFebure door. Diebold and LaGard have a long history as many locks like the 3330 series are private labeled(a sticker nowadays). Diebold has shifted from quality locks that they used to make to the LaGard which fail in a short time but they figure hey, that more money as we get to replace it again and again. As Torontosafecracker stated with the right part #'s for a change key if you don't want to modify a standard one from a 3330 lock. One key thing to note, when inserting the change key, rotate it counter clockwise, opposite of 3330 so when you also notch a 3330 change key, do it on the other side. A lock like this is probably in my opinion more of a collectible and I would not put it in service. My experience with LaGard locks is the engineering and design obsolescent of the lock. I have had 3330 fail in 5 years and I replace them with a much better quality lock for roughly the same cost. I do not like LaGard for many of those reasons and being a mechanical design engineer could write small book on the design problems with there locks.
<<

Riyame

Post Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 pm

I managed to find a NOS change key for it. Still trying to find a dial so I can get it mounted to a stand.

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:52 pm

That's excellent information to update this forum thread, definitely worthy of bumping it up out of the archives.
Thanks for posting, Intrepid.
<<

Oliv

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:17 am

Hi all
Not seen lots of Diebold locks here in Europe.
Any idea which model is it and what is the use of the side scale on this vault lock ?

http://diebolddirect.com/vaultrepairand ... ogram.aspx

Best regards
Oliv
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 am

My guess is that the scales and the tilted like shall make quick dialing easier.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Riyame

Post Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Oliv wrote:Hi all
Not seen lots of Diebold locks here in Europe.
Any idea which model is it and what is the use of the side scale on this vault lock ?

http://diebolddirect.com/vaultrepairand ... ogram.aspx

Best regards
Oliv

You cannot tell by the dial alone unfortunately.

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:35 am

Yup, the tilted black line is a curve that shows what number you are on or approaching on those side scales, so you don't have to try to read the fuzzy numbers as they sweep by your eyes.
<<

Oliv

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 am

Thank you all !
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks