FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Potential alternative to high/low & iso tests?

<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 am

Potential alternative to high/low & iso tests?

I know I'm not the only one here who dislikes high-low tests & the conflicting/unreliable results they often provide. I just had an idea regarding a different way of tagging a gate to a wheel. Isolation testing is a good alternative, but it's always good to have extra techniques & the more tools we have at our disposal, the better.

I was looking at two graphs, one taken AWL & another taken AWR. Due to the width of the drive pins & flies, the indications on the graphs had moved. A gate showing at 57.5 on the AWL graph showed at 55 when graphing AWR.

It occurred to me that this may provide a means by which a gate can be tied to a specific wheel.

We usually measure the offset caused by dialling in the opposite direction at the beginning of a manipulation to allow us to perform rotational conversions.

It should be possible to use this information to determine what wheel a gate belongs to :

for example, we find that the pickup differences are 0, 1 & 2, for wheel 3, 2 & 1 respectively.

We run a graph and find a gate centred at L50. If we now run a graph over this area using opposite rotation, we find the gate centre is at R48.

The fact that the gate has moved by 2 increments would suggest that it belongs to wheel 1. If the gate moved by only one increment, it would be on wheel 2, and if the gate doesn't move at all, it is on wheel 3.

We know that a gate won't always show when we are dialling in the opposite direction, but for the instances when the gate does show up when dialling in both directions, this should provide an indication of which wheel it belongs to.

I haven't tested this yet, so far it is just a theory, but I thought I'd put the idea out there. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts regarding, or results from trying this technique.

...Mark
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 am

Re: Potential alternative to high/low & iso tests?

In theory it may work! You already know that sometimes a gate shows up just rotating the wheels right or left, so I have not much to add. We just need to test it and report back. Next time I find a lock that doesn't react well to the standard high-low test I'll try this and let you know.

Cheers :)
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:42 am

I tested this idea on a S&G 6370 this evening & it worked. The indications showing the gates for both wheel 3 and wheel 2 moved just as expected when read with opposite rotation! For this individual manipulation, on this lock, the technique was valid.

...Mark
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 am

What a time saver...........the information was right in front of me the whole time.
I went back and did High-low testing to verify.
Question, my rotational conversion........Should it be the same when I go AWL V.S. AWR ?
Wheel 1=0
Wheel 2=.5
Wheel 3=1
while spinning AWR
should it be the same AWL?
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:40 am

jharveee wrote:What a time saver...........the information was right in front of me the whole time.
I went back and did High-low testing to verify.
Question, my rotational conversion........Should it be the same when I go AWL V.S. AWR ?
Wheel 1=0
Wheel 2=.5
Wheel 3=1
while spinning AWR
should it be the same AWL?

Yes, it should be the same in both directions.

...Mark
<<

davewhitejr

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Great idea!
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:22 pm

I hate hi/low testing! I'll have to give this a try next time. It might not always work, but the times that it does work will make the manipulation go faster.

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks