FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bent Spindle?

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Bent Spindle?

Hey Guys,

I picked up a Diebold 17423A from eBay last week and was trying to get it mounted today. After dicking around with it for a couple hours or so, I'm wondering if I have a bent spindle. It's a tapered dial that fits nicely in the dial ring, and unmounted, it spins great with no contact on the ring. But when I mount it, it seems to spin a bit off center and it drags at certain spots on the dial. I unmounted the dial ring to try and make adjustments, and I can't get it to spin freely.

Here's a video I took of the dial. Notice the gap on the right side between the dial and the ring, and watch how the gap gets wider and narrower as the dial spins. This is the best I can get it to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7vXNIVpR8

I'm wondering if either the spindle is bent, or the spindle isn't seated squarely in the dial.

The spindle was already cut for a 1/2" door so it's pretty short. It isn't obviously bent, but I would assume that you can't really tell by looking.

I really like the dial and don't want to replace it...I'm starting to appreciate some of these dials! Does anyone know if there is a way to check if the spindle is bent, or if it can be repaired/replaced?

Thanks guys!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

scudo

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Re: Bent Spindle?

I know nothing about dials however if the spindle can be extracted then roll it on a piece of glass or other flat surface and you should be able to determine if it is `true` or otherwise if that makes sense.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:17 pm

It does look a little off, not too bad though. The spindle could be bent or the lock not aligned properly. A bent spindle is harder to fix though. Make sure the lock body is properly positioned in accordance with the dial ring. I find that it's not too forgiving when it comes to that :/
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:29 pm

scudo wrote:I know nothing about dials however if the spindle can be extracted then roll it on a piece of glass or other flat surface and you should be able to determine if it is `true` or otherwise if that makes sense.

Thanks scudo. I'm not sure it can be extracted and then put back in, but I might be able to check it with the dial still attached. I'll see if I can give that a shot.

Daggers wrote:It does look a little off, not too bad though. The spindle could be bent or the lock not aligned properly. A bent spindle is harder to fix though. Make sure the lock body is properly positioned in accordance with the dial ring. I find that it's not too forgiving when it comes to that :/

Thanks Jared. It's not terrible, and I can probably use it the way it is, but I'd like to get it right. I messed with the orientation of the lock body to see if that was the issue. I'm pretty sure it's something else. I literally spent close to two hours trying to get it right. I drill a 1" hole for the spindle to go through so that I've got enough room to make adjustments.

-Mike
<<

TheAdvancedNoob

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

I still have lots to learn about these kinds of locks but it reminded me of this http://videos.midwayusa.com/index.php/s ... 1_w2sr9ijg maybe it can give you some ideas
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 pm

TheAdvancedNoob wrote:I still have lots to learn about these kinds of locks but it reminded me of this http://videos.midwayusa.com/index.php/s ... 1_w2sr9ijg maybe it can give you some ideas

Thanks man! Cool video. I'm not sure if it would work on a spindle but it gives me something to think about :)

-Mike
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Mike,

I've mounted a couple of those dials now--one on a LaGard and one on a Diebild (rebranded LaGard, I think). Anyway, I found that mine initially rubbed on the dial ring as well. In the end, I found that I had to pull the dial into the dial ring very tightly, otherwise it would sort of sag and drag. As I recall, it was a little too tight initially, so I ended up sanding down the nylon bearing a little bit at a time until it was floating nicely in the dial ring but with no slop. Goes without saying that the contour of the dial vs. the dial ring also seems to demand more precise centering than with some of the other designs.

In the end, I really like the dial. The diameter seems to be just right to move very quickly and it feels solid in the hand.

Enjoy! I really appreciate your posts man!

Trevor

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks