FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unlocked my first safe, but.....

<<

TheDude

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Unlocked my first safe, but.....

Sorry, but I think I originally posted this under the wrong topic, so please forgive the repeat post in this topic...

---------------

I just bought a house built in 1940 and in the basement is an old wall safe. After a good deal of research, I figured it to be a York 400 series, round door safe with a single bolt and 6 lugs. It also has 4 relockers. The lock is a Yale 2421Y.

After extensive research on this board and others, I began to teach myself how to manipulate this lock. Tonight, SUCCESS! You guys are right. That feeling of that first unlock is very cool! All told, it probably took me about 5 hours to get it done.

Now the hard part comes, though. The wheel won't turn!!!! It is very rusted, but before tackling the rust, I have a few questions.

So, first question: Would the relockers prevent the wheel (that retracts the lugs) from turning?

If not, then the rust is the culprit. So, my second question is: any suggestions and/or experience in dealing with the rust and getting the wheel free, and then the door?

If the relockers could be preventing the wheel from turning, then I'll be calling someone to come in and help, unless I can learn how to retract those next.....

Thanks in advance for any help & suggestions.

Gordon, aka TheDude
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Unlocked my first safe, but.....

the 4 relockers would not affect the turning of the wheels. as you found in your research the top 2 are spring loaded and the bottom 2 are gravity drop. is the dial removable? would you feel it a sin to put a hole at drop-in? if not, you could spray some fantastic blaster in the hole and let it soak for a few hours. but this is a non-destructive opening.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

TheDude

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:43 pm

bitbuster wrote:the 4 relockers would not affect the turning of the wheels. as you found in your research the top 2 are spring loaded and the bottom 2 are gravity drop. is the dial removable? would you feel it a sin to put a hole at drop-in? if not, you could spray some fantastic blaster in the hole and let it soak for a few hours. but this is a non-destructive opening.

The dial works and the internal lock wheels all work. I've actually figured out the combination and successfully unlocked it. The wheel that I can't turn is the outside steering-wheel looking piece that needs to rotate to retract the lugs. This is completely stuck and immobile.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 pm

sorry,i read the questions incorrectly. yes, if the relockers are fired the door will not rotate. the door revolves clockwise.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

TheDude

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks. I was afraid of that....
<<

TheDude

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks. I was afraid of that....
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 pm

If the relockers are fired the "wheel" will wiggle a bit.
If it is totally solid, it's probably rust "welded".
A proper diagnostic must be established before a solution can be carried.

M.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 pm

try using a dead-blow hammer on the entire outer edge of the door. be careful not to smack the steering wheel .
<<

TheDude

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 pm

The wheel is rock-solid. No play in it at all. I've sprayed the seam all the way around with PB Blaster, letting it soak. Perhaps I'll gently futz with it over the weekend and call a tech on Monday if I don't have any success.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS. I think I may be hooked on this lock manipulation. It's like a great puzzle....
<<

Deadlock

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:47 am

This link may be of some interest:

en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-Safes-3774/2013/1/old-yorksafe.htm

It won't hotlink so you'll have to type it in.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:56 am

TheDude wrote:S

Gordon, aka TheDude

Nice to meet you!

Gordon, aka GWiens2001
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks