FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

La Gard 1548?

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:17 pm

La Gard 1548?

So this last week I've been keeping eBay in business by expanding my lock collection with a few new locks. I bid on and won this lock, assuming it was a 3330. When it arrived, it was actually a 1548.

The item description doesn't mention which model it was, and the lock I received is brand new and exactly as described in the ad, so I have no issues with the purchase from that standpoint. However, I can't find much information on this lock online except that it is a Chinese knockoff authorized by La Gard but never meant to be distributed in the US, or so says one post that I found. But you can find them for sale if you look hard enough.

Again, I'm not disappointed with the purchase, but I'm interested to find out more about this lock just for my own knowledge. Has anyone heard of these?

Thanks!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: La Gard 1548?

Hi Mike,

I've got one too from the same seller. I was a little disappointed with the big MADE IN CHINA tag on the back, but it seems very well made. I have also found it to be a tough lock. I've only made two halfhearted manipulation attempts, but as of yet, I haven't opened it.

Should be a good trainer.

Trevor
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:54 pm

CPT1911 wrote:Hi Mike,

I've got one too from the same seller. I was a little disappointed with the big MADE IN CHINA tag on the back, but it seems very well made. I have also found it to be a tough lock. I've only made two halfhearted manipulation attempts, but as of yet, I haven't opened it.

Should be a good trainer.

Trevor

Trevor!

Haven't seen you around for a while! Thanks for the info. I've only had the thing about an hour, but it appears to be of decent quality despite being made in China. I'm looking forward to getting it mounted and giving it a try, especially since I know it's been giving you just a tiny bit of trouble :shock: . Based on what I've seen of your work, that should make this a formidable foe indeed!

Thanks again,

-Mike
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm

They are kind of a knock-off. Originally meant to be a cheaper alternative to the 3330, they did not meet LaGard's QA standards and were not supposed to be imported into the US... They were and are on some imports. But, it's more of a contract dispute than an out-and-out counterfeiting operation and would cost LG millions to make them go away.

Safe tech at my old shop wouldn't even touch them, always replaced them. Don't they have plastic parts in there? Insides the same as a 3330? It's been a while... Pictures?
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

dmasters wrote:They are kind of a knock-off. Originally meant to be a cheaper alternative to the 3330, they did not meet LaGard's QA standards and were not supposed to be imported into the US... They were and are on some imports. But, it's more of a contract dispute than an out-and-out counterfeiting operation and would cost LG millions to make them go away.

Safe tech at my old shop wouldn't even touch them, always replaced them. Don't they have plastic parts in there? Insides the same as a 3330? It's been a while... Pictures?

dmasters,

Ask and you shall receive...

Surprisingly, no plastic parts! It looks that way in the eBay picture, but up closer you can (hopefully) see that it appears to be painted aluminum. Aluminum or not, it's not plastic, nor is it magnetic. You can see where some of the paint has scratched off of the lever and flywheel. I removed the drive cam so you can see the wheels better.

The dial and ring appear to be aluminum as well

I haven't mounted it and tried to spin it yet, and I haven't disassembled it beyond this point, but it seems to be of reasonable quality.

-Mike
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Nice lock.

Not all Chinese locks are poor quality.

There ARE cheap Chinese locks and there good quality Chinese locks.

They make locks to whatever quality you are prepared to pay for.

I've seen and have some very good quality locks (quality brands like Lockwood) made in China. I got Masters made in China too.

I think that a lot of people would be surprised at just how many "Brand name" locks are made in China.

Might make an interesting thread.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Mikeh727 wrote:
dmasters wrote:They are kind of a knock-off. Originally meant to be a cheaper alternative to the 3330, they did not meet LaGard's QA standards and were not supposed to be imported into the US... They were and are on some imports. But, it's more of a contract dispute than an out-and-out counterfeiting operation and would cost LG millions to make them go away.

dmasters,

Ask and you shall receive...

Surprisingly, no plastic parts! It looks that way in the eBay picture, but up closer you can (hopefully) see that it appears to be painted aluminum. Aluminum or not, it's not plastic, nor is it magnetic. You can see where some of the paint has scratched off of the lever and flywheel. I removed the drive cam so you can see the wheels better.

Thanks, Mike. I have a deep rooted interest in safe locks, but unfortunately don't get around them too much anymore and missed my original opportunity to train under a Master. I lean a bit vicarious when it comes to safes and safe locks. And sadly my meager collection went the way of the dodo when I moved cross country. Building one from scratch is on my bucket list... right after the CNC, 3D printer and whoop-ass workbench :)
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Neilau wrote:Nice lock.

Not all Chinese locks are poor quality.

There ARE cheap Chinese locks and there good quality Chinese locks.

They make locks to whatever quality you are prepared to pay for.

I've seen and have some very good quality locks (quality brands like Lockwood) made in China. I got Masters made in China too.

I think that a lot of people would be surprised at just how many "Brand name" locks are made in China.

Might make an interesting thread.

I agree, not everything from China is poor quality, and this lock looks to lean towards the high quality end of what you might get, so I'm happy with it :)
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:05 pm

dmasters wrote:

Thanks, Mike. I have a deep rooted interest in safe locks, but unfortunately don't get around them too much anymore and missed my original opportunity to train under a Master. I lean a bit vicarious when it comes to safes and safe locks. And sadly my meager collection went the way of the dodo when I moved cross country. Building one from scratch is on my bucket list... right after the CNC, 3D printer and whoop-ass workbench :)

It's a shame you had to give up your collection. Start trolling eBay...there are sometimes some surprisingly good deals on there. My collection consists of only five locks at the time but they all came from eBay. With change keys and shipping, I'm only in for around $200 or so. Although the CNC and 3D printer sound pretty cool... :)

-Mike

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks