FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sentry direct entry w/ cruciform lock

<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 am

Sentry direct entry w/ cruciform lock

I have a sentry safe a friend gave me that's direct entry with a cruciform lock serving as the handle. The lock is quite rusted and picking it isn't really going to conceivably happen. I was thinking about drilling it but I have no clue how. Where do I drill and what type of drill bit? I've never manipulated a direct entry before and this seems like a good challenge. The little stands that the safe sits on were knocked off so there are some holes in the bottom. Do these type of locks have change key holes in back that I could see with a borescope through the bottom hole?
DSCF4766.JPG

DSCF4765.JPG

DSCF4764.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:23 am

Re: Sentry direct entry w/ cruciform lock

It's a Sentry V530, or at least similar to one. With direct entry manipulation you need to be able to put pressure on the handle, which in this case is the key, to get an indication. These are hand-change, if they're changeable at all.

Good scope hole would be half-way between the spindle and the keyway, and like an inch either up or down. That should give you a clear view of the gates to line them up, then decide how you're going to move the boltwork. I bet you could side punch them with little trouble. Or soak the shit out the key lock with penetrating lube and pick it :whip:
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 am

Is there a specific type of drill bit I should use or will just any drill bit suffice? And what's side punching? lol I find myself at a total loss when it comes to destructive entry :P
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:41 pm

A HSS or cobalt bit should be okay, you're not going to be going through anything tough.

Side punching: take a piece of milk jug, paper, cardstock, etc. anything that will fit between the door and the outer frame and feel around for the locking bolts. Find the top and bottom of them and try to gauge their depth from the face of the door. Using those measurements, drill holes through the side of the box centered over the bolts. Using a punch, alternate whacking the bolts until they are pushed fully back. Your box has two, I believe.

With the gates lined up, the only thing you'll have to overcome is the tailpiece on the back of the lock. But, get a big enough hammer and it wouldn't matter whether the wheels were aligned or not :hammering:
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Cool thanks! I'll have to get some drill bits and see what I can do about loosening up the cruciform lock :)
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Wait a minute,
I wouldn't be so quick to drill. It's only a Sentry after all, and they seldom need drilling.
Any drilling and especially side drilling will destroy that safe.
I would try to make a key to it first. Yeah, it's a bit rusty but the innards are brass, the might still move.
Get yourself some blanks and impression it. It may seems tough but they are not that hard to impression.
Once you have a working key, it can be manipulated easily.
Check out the Crown safe I opened in my Safe talk thread, it's all explained there.
If you need more details, PM me.

M.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Altashot wrote:Wait a minute,
I wouldn't be so quick to drill. It's only a Sentry after all, and they seldom need drilling.
Any drilling and especially side drilling will destroy that safe.
I would try to make a key to it first. Yeah, it's a bit rusty but the innards are brass, the might still move.
Get yourself some blanks and impression it. It may seems tough but they are not that hard to impression.
Once you have a working key, it can be manipulated easily.
Check out the Crown safe I opened in my Safe talk thread, it's all explained there.
If you need more details, PM me.

M.

I'm against drilling in most cases (I hate seeing damage done to safes!) but I do think it's a good skill to know so the fact that it's only a Sentry would be why I'd drill it. I was planning on drilling it open and then using it for direct entry manipulation practice. I've never drilled a lock or safe so this kinda seems like a good opportunity. Plus, the safe is never going to be used for anything! It's in really bad condition and both locks would have to be replaced since the dial doesn't turn too well. It'd take way more time and money than it's worth. Maybe I'll drill the front to read the wheels and then impression it instead of side punching the bolt. Then after it's open, I can practice manipulating it :) I remember seeing that story you did but forgot the details, I'll check it out again!

EDIT: How do I find blanks for this?
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I get your point. I guess if you want the experience, better drill a POS than a nice one.

You should be able to get the blank from your local locksmith. Most locksmith in my area carry them so I figure yours should too.

M.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks! I'll see if I can get some and how well my impressioning attempt goes lol I'm as bad as you can get at impressioning but i'm still slowly learning :)
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Squirt some penetration oil it there then after a day blow some brake cleaner in there should free it up .

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks