FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cary Safe Photos

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Cary Safe Photos

This last weekend I went out of town to visit relatives in Wisconsin, and came across this safe at a bar where one of my cousins works.

The dial had some sort of putty around one side and no one there knew why...maybe a repair of some sort?

So here's the inside. The wheel pack was already removed. Looks to me like a straight forward direct entry safe. Notice the drive cam with the false gates. What I found interesting is that the drive cam is CLOSEST to the dial instead of furthest away. I'm still pretty new at this safe stuff but I expected the drive cam to be furthest away.

And here's the wheel pack...three wheels which would make this a four number combination with the drive cam.

The wheel pack is mounted to a plate that simply screws into the body of the lock housing...you can see the three screw holes on the picture of the drive cam. It looked to be in working order. I placed the wheel pack in place and held it there and the dial turned freely and you could feel the wheels picking up. No one knows why it has never been put back together. Anyhow, I thought you might enjoy some pictures, and maybe someone who knows can chime in about the 'backwards' wheel pack!

Cheers!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Cary Safe Photos

looks like someone along the way drilled a big hole in the 75-84 area of the dial. what town and what bar in wisconnie?
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:35 pm

bitbuster wrote:looks like someone along the way drilled a big hole in the 75-84 area of the dial. what town and what bar in wisconnie?

Hey Bitbuster,

I wondered that too but didn't see any evidence on the inside, although I didn't look very hard. It IS right by where the bolt engages.

I see you're from Wisconsin! It was in Sheboygan, at the 4th Street Tap, if you're familiar. Other side of the state, but who knows! My wife is from Duluth, MN, so right near where you might be. And we vacation every year near the Minocqua/Woodruff area. North Central, but we may have gone close to where you are on the way.

-Mike

*edited to correct bar name fro Tavern to Tap.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

mikeh, When the wheels are "hand change" (disassemble the wheel pack instead of using a key) in this case "screw change" (changing the positions of the screws will alter your combination) they are attached to the back cover for ease of maintenance. If the drive cam were on the far side of the wheels they would be a bear to change combinations on, you would have to disassemble the whole lock. This way all you do is remove the back and the wheels are in your hand. As always the wheels are still numbered the same way, farthest from the drive cam is always #1 (first) number of your combination.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks Mastersmith, that's good information that I wasn't aware of. The wheels operated in the manner that you mentioned, the furthest away was wheel one. It's just 'backwards' from my previous experiences, which obviously are limited!

Thanks again.

-Mike
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm

you've got a straight tailpiece lock with the driver in front, as you already know. mastersmith is correct. much easier for disassembly and combo changing with the driver in front. i haven't been to sheboygan in years. the manocqua area is great for musky fishing. duluth is a mere 1 1/2 hour drive away.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Neat to see! Thanks for taking photos Mike.

I have zero experience with those, but even being direct entry, I'd be willing to
bet that old beast could put up a good fight when it comes to manipulation.

I love seeing that old brass. Again not talking from much experience....
but the couple older safe locks I've come across seem to have better quality
brass compared to much of the brass seen today. It's significantly heavier.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks