FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Backing off of the right contact point

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Backing off of the right contact point

I don't recall reading anything about this, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it is just a characteristic of the lock I'm working with.

After manipulating this lock open, I've decided that I need several hours of 'drill' time in order to improve my skills without the pressure of actually opening a lock. As I am playing around with taking readings, I've found that one way I can determine if I've gone too far on the right point (not stopped at EXACTLY the right place), is to turn the dial sightly back right and feel the nose of the lever 'back off' from the slope of the drive cam. This works well with very subtle points that might otherwise be difficult to identify, at least for someone with my lack of experience.

Is that just this lock or is this common?

-M
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: Backing off of the right contact point

i've noticed this too at times. For me, some locks don't like to tell me when i'm "backing off" but others do. If you want a good way to practice taking contact point readings, you can take the back cover off your lock and look at it when you think you have it. Or have a friend look at it and tell you if you are correctly reading it, right when you touch it.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Daggers wrote:i've noticed this too at times. For me, some locks don't like to tell me when i'm "backing off" but others do. If you want a good way to practice taking contact point readings, you can take the back cover off your lock and look at it when you think you have it. Or have a friend look at it and tell you if you are correctly reading it, right when you touch it.

Put a mirror behind the safe lock with the cover off. Then you only need to look at the mirror while dialing, rather than having someone else, or dialing, moving around to look, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks Daggers, I appreciate the info. I think I'm going to try and set up my phone or an iPad with the front facing camera pointed at the back of the lock so I can watch the points to be sure. Some are easy to feel, but it's the subtle ones that I still need to learn to identify better.

By the way, GREAT book! It helped me immensely, along with the other required reading that you suggested. I wouldn't have gotten this lock open if it wasn't for your book and the input of others on this forum, so thanks so much for taking the time to write it!

-M
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:17 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
Put a mirror behind the safe lock with the cover off. Then you only need to look at the mirror while dialing, rather than having someone else, or dialing, moving around to look, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Gordon

Man, I must be way to reliant on technology. I apparently can't think analog anymore! Gordon, this is the second time you've offered me a simple and easy solution to an issue. Thank you!

-M
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Mikeh727 wrote:
By the way, GREAT book! It helped me immensely, along with the other required reading that you suggested. I wouldn't have gotten this lock open if it wasn't for your book and the input of others on this forum, so thanks so much for taking the time to write it!

-M

Thanks, I appreciate it! I have actually gone back, fixed some mistakes, added as much info as I could, and am now in the process of publishing it both in a physical hard copy and an ebook! The original 25 page pdf will always be available on here for free but if you would like to buy the revised one, it's filled with all sorts of extra stuff ;)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Make sure you let us know when it is ready for sale, Daggers!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Make sure you let us know when it is ready for sale, Daggers!

Gordon

Will do! Should be within a week or two so hopefully expect to see it soon :)
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Daggers, I'm in! Just let me know where to find it. PM me if you remember.

Thanks!

-M

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks